Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Niagara Falls - two unusual views

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Niagara Falls - two unusual views

My daughter and I spent a few hours at Niagara Falls we arrived late in the afternoon yesterday and left mid-morning today. I went out to shoot after we arrived, at night and early this morning.

Here are two views, done on my laptop, so I don't know how these really look...

The Falls illuminated with coloured lights at night; the shot is of the American Fall and the Bridal Veil Falls. I know a lot of people don't like the blurry, long exposure look, but frankly, it's tough to do anything else with so little light...

Water plunging over the edge - The Canadian or Horseshoe Falls

Real Name
    Kyle

Re: Niagara Falls - two unusual views

Very nice shots. Both are great. The colours in the first are awesome and the second is very dramatic with great colour in the water.

I actually just drove to the falls tonight to help some family move. Going to be hiking this weekend for some good shots and I hope to get a few falls shots in. Hopefully they're as good as yours.

Real Name
    Dan

You're right, Manfred. Both are non-typical views of a much photographed site and both are excellent. Nicely done.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Kay

Well done, I know the long exposure look has maybe been overdone or lost its appeal in some instances, but most certainly not here.
    I think the colours & technique work wonderfully well.

Beautiful photography and clicks.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very unusual and nice indeed Manfred You might like to crop the blown out yellow part on the top right side of #1 when you view the image thorougly at home, IMO it is competing with the whole scene.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Very unusual and nice indeed Manfred You might like to crop the blown out yellow part on the top right side of #1 when you view the image thorougly at home, IMO it is competing with the whole scene.
    Agreed Binnur - I tried to (unsuccessfully) tone it down a bit. The issue I've run into is that the swirling mists around the falls introduces some additional challanges as the whole area is brighter and simply cloning it out won't work without making the image look quite strange. I\ll tackle it when I get home with a tools that work better than my laptop.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I look forward to viewing them after you have refined them.

Regarding your duplicate thread, I believe you can use the delete function to remove it. I've done that on posts I've posted to threads started by others but I don't know if I have ever used it to delete the first post of a thread that I started. It may not work in the latter situation.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I look forward to viewing them after you have refined them.

Regarding your duplicate thread, I believe you can use the delete function to remove it. I've done that on posts I've posted to threads started by others but I don't know if I have ever used it to delete the first post of a thread that I started. It may not work in the latter situation.
    Somehow, the delete function is not available, otherwise I would have already done so.