Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byward Market at Night

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Byward Market at Night

These are more shots that I took earlier this week as my camera, tripod and I wandered through Ottawa's downtown Byward Market area at night.

One of the many restaurants. The streaks of lights are from cars going by so quickly that the only thing that was captured during the long exposure was from their lights.

Byward Market at Night

This is the Market Building. Now full of shops and restaurants. Back when we first moved to Ottawa many years ago, vendors had their stalls in this building.

Byward Market at Night

Rear curtain (2nd shutter in Canonspeak) flash and a slow shutter speed. This captures the car lights and the flash illuminates the car.

Byward Market at Night

Beavertails are a local concoction = deep fried batter, covered in sugar and drizzled with a bit of lemon juice is the original flavour.

Byward Market at Night
    Last edited by Manfred M; 12th March 2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added 3 more images

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Byward Market at Night

Nice series. Number 1 is fantastic. great illumination

The depth and richness of your work amazes me! I'm such a fan of your work!

Real Name
    John

Nice series, exposures couldn't have been that long as there is very little OOF regards to people movement?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Yes, the exposures were fairly shortish; generally in the 1/4 - 1/2 second range. All were shot using a tripod.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Chri5 View Post
    Nice series. Number 1 is fantastic. great illumination
    Thanks - I can thank the building owners for the fantastic lighting.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dave View Post
    The depth and richness of your work amazes me! I'm such a fan of your work!

Thanks Dave - trying to get a 3D look on a 2D surface is so much easier in night shots.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

What a beautiful set of street images; really enjoyed them

Real Name
    George

Manfred,
    Your 2nd curtain image is a 1st curtain image, unless the car is driving backwards.
    George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Manfred,
    Your 2nd curtain image is a 1st curtain image, unless the car is driving backwards.
    George
    Strangely enough, I think we're both right. It looks like the flash fired twice. You see both leading headlights (front curtain) and trailing tail lights (rear curtain). The camera was definitely set to rear curtain (I just checked) and if you look at the car across the street, there are two separate frozen images of the wheels in different positions; so that seems to confirm I got two flashes. I was looking through the viewfinder and did not notice at the time.

I'm going to have to check the gear to figure out why I got two flashes. I suspect the first flash must have been the metering preflash.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Manfred. Those are great images. #3 might look good in B&W too. About the second curtain, as far as I remember the flash fires twice ( I read it somewhere or watched a video about it, I might also have checked it with my new camera while reading the user manual).

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Strangely enough, I think we're both right. It looks like the flash fired twice. You see both leading headlights (front curtain) and trailing tail lights (rear curtain). The camera was definitely set to rear curtain (I just checked) and if you look at the car across the street, there are two separate frozen images of the wheels in different positions; so that seems to confirm I got two flashes. I was looking through the viewfinder and did not notice at the time.

I'm going to have to check the gear to figure out why I got two flashes. I suspect the first flash must have been the metering preflash.

Real Name
    George

I think, just a guess, the tail lights are no lights but reflection. I also think that the other car is illuminated by another lightsource.
    Nice sharp images.

Off topic. Can you tell me how to activate spelling checker? On one pc I have it, on this one not.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I think, just a guess, the tail lights are no lights but reflection. I also think that the other car is illuminated by another lightsource.
    Nice sharp images.

Off topic. Can you tell me how to activate spelling checker? On one pc I have it, on this one not.

George
    This shot was taken moments later and the trailing tail lights are clearly visible in this shot; and I did not change the camera / flash settings at all. The metadata shows the flash firing in both images; so all I can thing is that it was some kind of a camera glitch. It's the only image of the set where this seems to have occurred; the rest are "as expected".

The reason I suspect the pre-flash is that the car passengers are quite clear and with two equal flashes, I would have expected to see some sort of clear artifact; which I don't see.

Byward Market at Night

As for the spell checker, I suspect that is part of your browser setup. I know I have it in mine (Firefox), but haven't found where to turn it off or on in the settings
    Last edited by Manfred M; 12th March 2015 at 06:31 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi again Manfred. I have found the video that I watched in the past and it says there is a preflash for metering and it is not noticeable at all. But I don't know if it causes such an effect.

Real Name
    George

This shot was taken moments later and the trailing tail lights are clearly visible in this shot; and I did not change the camera / flash settings at all. The metadata shows the flash firing in both images; so all I can thing is that it was some kind of a camera glitch. It's the only image of the set where this seems to have occurred; the rest are "as expected".

The reason I suspect the pre-flash is that the car passengers are quite clear and with two equal flashes, I would have expected to see some sort of clear artifact; which I don't see.

Byward Market at Night

As for the spell checker, I suspect that is part of your browser setup. I know I have it in mine (Firefox), but haven't found where to turn it off or on in the settings
    A pre-flash is done with the shutter closed. It doesn't affect the exposure. The people in the car are sharp visible because that was only flash exposure, no other light inside.
    The back of the car, that part what represents the movement, is getting darker from left to right. The flash exposure started at 1st curtain, on the image at the left side, and then the light background got ivolved, maximal on the left side and then getting less. I can't say anything of the other image, it's to small.

George

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi George. I don't shoot such photos yet but I watched some videos and read about 2nd curtain. So, I'm just asking to learn some more. Your comment sounds reasonable but what about the wheel at the very right of the frame ? That wheel looks as if it is 2nd curtain because the frozen part is at the RHS.

Interesting image indeed . But it is nice anyway

A pre-flash is done with the shutter closed. It doesn't affect the exposure. The people in the car are sharp visible because that was only flash exposure, no other light inside.
    The back of the car, that part what represents the movement, is getting darker from left to right. The flash exposure started at 1st curtain, on the image at the left side, and then the light background got ivolved, maximal on the left side and then getting less. I can't say anything of the other image, it's to small.

George

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Manfred, all good shots but if I have to choose a favourite here, I like #1 because I do not know how to do this one yet in any of my cameras, past and present. But I will learn as I have a good place to do this right here where I live. The good thing about #1 is the neatness of the shot. When you do long exposure like that #1 shot, how long do you have the shutter speed open? It is the shutter speed isn't it? that makes the long exposure work? just asking...

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi George. I don't shoot such photos yet but I watched some videos and read about 2nd curtain. So, I'm just asking to learn some more. Your comment sounds reasonable but what about the wheel at the very right of the frame ? That wheel looks as if it is 2nd curtain because the frozen part is at the RHS.

Interesting image indeed . But it is nice anyway
    I think the car is moving from right to left. A flash has an exposuretime of maximal 1/1000s. It can change and might be different. But it freezes the weel at the most right part. I think the feeling of multiple exposures in that car is due to reflection. The movement cause the light being reflected periodical to the camera. It's an interesting picture so.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Manfred, all good shots but if I have to choose a favourite here, I like #1 because I do not know how to do this one yet in any of my cameras, past and present. But I will learn as I have a good place to do this right here where I live. The good thing about #1 is the neatness of the shot. When you do long exposure like that #1 shot, how long do you have the shutter speed open? It is the shutter speed isn't it? that makes the long exposure work? just asking...
    To me a long exposure is anything that I don't dare handhold. Exposure was 1/4th sec (so a bit too long to handhold and get absolutely crisp) ISO 1000 at f/3.5 (wide open) on a Nikkor 24mm PC-E (shift / tilt lens); using shift function to eliminate distortion. I have bubble levels on the tripod to ensure that the camera is sitting level (fairly important to ensure the camera is level for this kind of shot). The colours are due to the nice paint job, funky signs, old brickwork and of course the lighting on the building and of course PP work.

In PP I did sharpening (unsharp mask), curves adjustments, heavy duty dodging on the sky to bring out the shadow detail and a vignette to darken the corners, etc. I used the Nik Color Efex Pro 4 Tone Contrast filter as part of the PP treatment, i.e a total of probably about 5 or 6 minutes of PP work. No cropping at all.

The second image received virtually identical treatment.

Real Name
    Roger

Super - excellent shots all have great detail throughout the photo. The 3rd one I sure hope the driver looked back at where she was headed cause that isn't where she's looking when the shot was taken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast