Thread: Pot Still

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Pot Still

This large (retired) pot still is located at the Suntory distillery, in Hakushu, Japan. These types of stills were used to distill whisky in the traditional way.

Pot Still

RE-EDITED IMAGE

I re-worked the image to eliminate the blown out areas on the still from the original raw file. This data had no blown out areas. I also warmed things up a bit. The pot still, including the condenser is made of copper, so I brought that richness out a bit more.

Pot Still
    Last edited by Manfred M; 13th September 2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added re-edited image

Real Name
    John

Re: Pot Still

Looks like a happy still, nicely captured.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

For me, this is an example of the very best kind of travel photography available to tourists, as opposed to pros who have the luxury of being provided special access and permission to control lighting at will. The lines in the image are dramatic; the round shape of the pot very nicely contrasts the flat surface of the wall; the light in the large open (or windowed) area helps define the three-dimensional characteristics; and the barrels on the far right tell the story that whatever is put into the large thing in front is going to eventually end up in those barrels (my point being that I wouldn't need the explanation that this is a distillery to figure out on my own that some kind of alcoholic drink was being made at the site).

Exceptionally well done!

I gather from a shadow on the left side of the wall that another pot is to the left of the subject but outside the frame. Am I right?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    For me, this is an example of the very best kind of travel photography available to tourists, as opposed to pros who have the luxury of being provided special access and permission to control lighting at will. The lines in the image are dramatic; the round shape of the pot very nicely contrasts the flat surface of the wall; the light in the large open (or windowed) area helps define the three-dimensional characteristics; and the barrels on the far right tell the story that whatever is put into the large thing in front is going to eventually end up in those barrels (my point being that I wouldn't need the explanation that this is a distillery to figure out on my own that some kind of alcoholic drink was being made at the site).

Exceptionally well done!

Thanks Mike. I think you are being rather transparent here. You like anything that goes into an interestingly shaped and labeled bottle.

The whisky (not the US "whiskey" spelling) manufacturing was introduced to Japan by Masataka Taketsuru, who studied organic chemistry at the University of Glasgow, early in the 20th century and also worked at aScottish distillery to learn the trade. He also married a Scot, who moved back to Japan with him in 1920. The Hakushu Distillery, where this picture was taken, was opened by Suntory in 1973.

He initially worked for the company that would eventually become the Japanese beverage giant Suntory and helped establish their first distillery in 1923. In 1934 he set out on his own and established Nikka Distilling, in Northern Japan. These two companies still make whisky and their products are so good that they have regularly been beating the Scottish makers in whisky competitions.

I brought back a couple of bottles and plan to photograph them before enjoying them, but suspect I'll have to do that after I get back from our fall leaf tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I gather from a shadow on the left side of the wall that another pot is to the left of the subject but outside the frame. Am I right?
    No, I'm afraid not. There was only the one still on display. What you are seeing is the funky, multiple light source lighting hitting the subject.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 11th September 2015 at 09:30 PM.

Real Name
    Graham

Excellent work. The colour, the light and shadows, the lines and curves, the angle of shooting - everything about it just makes it a standout.

Real Name
    Jim

That's a lot nicer than the ones the boys use around here.

Like the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    You like anything that goes into an interestingly shaped and labeled bottle.
    True. However, keep in mind that I have no idea about the shape or labeling of the bottle.

Seriously, thanks for the historical explanation. I had no idea that whisky or whiskey is made in Japan.

Real Name
    Martin

Manfred, I love the warm colours.
    As Mike says, the photo tells the story. If you managed this with no special lighting then it is extra good.
    However the white area just below that opening/seal is possibly a little "blown out" . Can that be toned down a touch?

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image Manfred

Thanks Mike. I think you are being rather transparent here. You like anything that goes into an interestingly shaped and labeled bottle.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Suntory has always been a whiskey brand long before I even knew about the traditional Jack Daniels, well at least most Asians are familiar with Suntory...anyway, great shot, Manfred. I too like the warm-ist colours here. The barrels inside the building is an added interest too...good composition as usual coming from you...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I did a new edit from scratch on the pot still to bring out some of the data in the highlight areas that was close to / getting blown out in the first post.

In retrospect, I find I still prefer the first version with the harsh highlights. That is much closer to how it looked, with extreme hot spots of the spotlights hitting the copper vessel.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 14th September 2015 at 03:56 AM.

Real Name
    Martin

I did a new edit from scratch on the pot still to being out some of the data in the highlight areas that was close to / getting blown out in the first post.
    That edit works well Manfred

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice. Very nice...

Real Name
    Dan

The image is nicely done. A nice example of craftsmanship by the makers of the still and by the image maker. Good job.