Thread: Stormy Lake Superior

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Stormy Lake Superior

Parts of the Great Lakes, especially parts of Lake Superior and Georgian Bay on Lake Huron are well known for the fall storms. In years past, many a ship was lost to these storms.

While this was not exactly a storm (heavy rains had passed by the area before we got there), the heavy duty clouds, the whitecaps and wave action on the water, the shattered large trees and the well worn round rocks all attest to the violent storms that hit this beach at Marathon, Ontario.

Stormy Lake Superior

B&W conversion was done with DxO Labs FilmPack 4. I used the Ilford HPS 800 look to push some grain into the image. I find that the gritty, grainy look works in this shot.

Real Name
    randy

Re: Stormy Lake Superior

I think it works very well

It looks like clear skies when you are passing through my neck of the woods, colors are improving, but still slow

Real Name
    Graham

From where I come from it's hard to believe that that is all fresh water. It certainly does look storm ravaged.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Very good conversion here...I was just looking at this in your Flick'r site...

Real Name
    Jim

Powerful B&W image. Not a fan on the wide border.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by GBO25 View Post
    From where I come from it's hard to believe that that is all fresh water. It certainly does look storm ravaged.
    Lake Superior is huge; it's the largest freshwater lake (by area) in the world. It took some 5+ hours to drive much of the north shore (not counting stops at highway speeds). By the end of the week, we will have driven around it completely.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th September 2015 at 10:42 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image Manfred May I ask what DxO Labs filmpack 4 ? Is it a software ?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Very nice image Manfred May I ask what DxO Labs filmpack 4 ? Is it a software ?
    Yes, Binnur, it is software. Click here for some information.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks a lot Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes, Binnur, it is software. Click here for some information.

Real Name
    Dean

Very nice conversion.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Powerful B&W image. Not a fan on the wide border.
    I've had long discussions on borders with a number of commercial photographers regarding boarders. There was a time that I always put a border on my images. Now I tend to use them less often, but when displaying them on a website, I will make a call based on the background colours of the website. In the case of CiC, with the dark background, I find a white border helps a B&W image from "getting lost". While there is a wide range of opinions, there are a few thoughts that seem to be consistent, especially when it comes to prints.

1. Borders can and do add a level of "finish" to an image. They also provide a visual limit to the image (keep the viewer's eyes from rolling of the edge of the image). If a print is to be framed, a border is a must as it provides a clean area where the matt and print meet;

2. Borders should complement the image, which means colours in the image, complementary colours or neutral colours tend to work best. Regardless, the boarder should not overpower the image, so generally simpler works better than overly complex.

3. Border width is often personal taste. A border that is too narrow will tend to take away from the image. Wider tends to be better but what is overboard for one person can seem too narrow to another.

I personally feel I should have gone a bit wider on this shot.