Thread: Monk's cells

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Monk's cells

I took this shot straight on at the monk's apartments at the Trashigang's Rangjung Woesel Choeling Monastery. http://www.rangjungfoundation.bt/Fro...ngMonastry.php

The prayer bell was ringing (you can see the bell and the monk ringing it; middle floor and at camera right) and the monks started heading out of their apartments and headed down for their prayers. I shot this straight on and like the way the brilliant colours work together and are disrupted by the occasional monk in the shot.

Monk's cells

This is a shot that definitely needs to be viewed in Litebox.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 1st November 2015 at 01:22 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Monk's cells

Wonderful image, Manfred. Would you consider cropping the roof line out?

I'm surprised you were able to take this shot. There is a Buddhist temple near here and cameras are forbidden.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Greg.

Bhutan was fine in letting people take pictures from the outside, include the courtyards, but images of the interiors were not allowed and that included all monasteries, temples and museums.

Here is one version of the crop you suggested:

Monk's cells

Real Name
    Christina

Just to say I that I absolutely adore this image... There is so much to look at (even peeking into the windows) and it's so beautifully vibrant. I like the crop but prefer it without the crop because of the beautiful colours (blue against the yellows and oranges) and detail seen in the roof. That said I also like it cropped even closer, for just the beautiful patterns of the windows, but love the original best.

Aside... The image looks very bright, the whites very white but not clipped, and same for the blacks but almost... Would you mind taking the time to explain this choice (yes, it pops) and how you would adjust for printing? (for me to learn from)

Thank you.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 1st November 2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: add on

Real Name
    Tony Watts

This is certainly a fine image - the regular geometry, clear colours with nice detail but not too much. I think it suits your style of processing very well.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    Just to say I that I absolutely adore this image... There is so much to look at (even peeking into the windows) and it's so beautifully vibrant. I like the crop but prefer it without the crop because of the beautiful colours and detail seen in the roof.

Aside... The image looks very bright, the whites very white but not clipped, and same for the blacks but almost... Would you mind taking the time to explain this choice (yes, it pops) and how you would adjust for printing? (for me to learn from)

Thank you.

The scene was quite bright; early fall in the Himalayas meant largely clear, blue skies. The picture was taken around 3:00 in the afternoon, and the walls (facing west) got a full blast of sunlight. The colours really popped and fighting the shadows was the biggest problem I had at that location.

For printing I would set the black value (output) to 15 and the white value (output) to 240. That way I will maintain highlight and shadow detail in the print. I use Photoshop to do the printing and make the settings with an adjustment layer. I would set as show in this screen capture.

Monk's cells

As for the choices; if the scene contains blacks and whites, I will set the black point and white point so that it does not clip. I use the middle slider (as required) to set the brightness. I usually apply a vignette as well, but did not in this image (I didn't feel I needed one).
    Last edited by Manfred M; 1st November 2015 at 01:49 AM.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you, Manfred. Very helpful to see a visual. You've advised me once on printing which I've duly noted. I tried a couple of test shots on a pelican but didn't see too much of a difference but the originals were likely not as bright. But I can see the difference in your screen shot.

Thank you. Truly appreciated. A wonderful image to view and also to learn from.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 1st November 2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Deleted question to send in PM

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent image with much activities within one frame.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Very neat shot! I like the display of colours as Christina said, (+1 to her) it is interesting to go through each windows and spaces and take a peek through them...

Real Name
    Ole

Manfred, please retain the roof, it does provide a contrast. I have noticed that you have 'gone mono' lately. Thankfully not this time as the colours are just great.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It works really well for all the reasons you mentioned. Add to them that the opening displaying the distant land also helps break up the cacophony of color.

Real Name
    Dan

That is an awesome image, Manfred. A good learning opportunity for me because I likely wouldn't have recognized the opportunity for such a shot. Either version works but IMO the crop is a slight improvement. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I . . . like the way the brilliant colours work together and are disrupted by the occasional monk in the shot.
    Spoken like a true photographer

Real Name
    Binnur

Excellent shot Manfred, I prefer the original