Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum

I have four pods, CF and Alloy, the reply really should be "horses for courses".

When I am shooting all day from a fixed station say powerboats or aquacross (see my site) then I use my heavy alloy legs with bracing, large manfrottos, then again they have to carry 500mm and heavy body, if I am moving about it will be a good CF.

However more important to me is the head.

I have b/s, pan/tilt but rarely ever take the "lensmaster" gimbals off as they beat most heads into submission.

I have all their versions, and use two of the MH2 most

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/rh2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Carl,

I actually think the choice of materials is the easier part. The harder part is choosing among the bewildering array of features. I finally created a spreadsheet, listing features on one side and (carbon fiber) tripods on the other. E.g., do you want a center post? If so, one that you can reverse? Or one that you can split? An articulating center post? Do you want a built-in hook for a weight? Maximum height, with and without the center post? Minimum height, for transportation? There are more, but I have repressed the memory. When I looked, there were lots of decent carbon fiber tripods priced between $200 and $300 at places like B&H, but none had everything I wanted, so it was a question of tradeoffs.

The other big decision is weight. That too is a compromise. I opted for light weight, because I hike with mine and have a bad back. Mine (a 3-section Oben) is intermediate in terms of leg width--the large sections are about 1" in diameter, and the smallest about 3/4". When I am out on a windy day, I would prefer a heavier one, but when I am lugging it up a mountain on my back, I certainly don't.

And, of course, then you get to heads...

Dan
    Thanks Dan,
    I had been thinking of some of the list you provided and had already been looking at some with the first round of comments earlier on in the thread. The Feisol was just too far out of my price range and Manfreds post had me rethinking on the Manfrotto. I came across this one while looking at the reviews on another tripod and would like some input on it, if anyone has first hand knowledge of the brand. It looks to be a solid tripod with lots of perks. The reviews (31) on B&H place it very highly at 5 stars.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/i...ods-ct213.aspx
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 2nd January 2014 at 03:08 AM.

It seems most of the replies are in for the carbon fiber, which is the same thought as me.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Carl - Induro and Benro are the made by the same company. I find that they make decent (albeit a bit short - one does need the use the centre column) tripods and have no problems recommending them for build quality. The legs are fine, but the ball heads are good, but not great. I do use them quite extensively for travel.

They are not super rigid (which is is okay most of the time), but simply are not strong enough to take a full-frame body and large lens. The really big advantage over Manfrotto is that they use the "standard" Arca-Swiss plate, versus the custom Manfrotto one. There is a fair bit of gear out there built around the Arca-Swiss design.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Carl - Induro and Benro are the made by the same company. I find that they make decent (albeit a bit short - one does need the use the centre column) tripods and have no problems recommending them for build quality. The legs are fine, but the ball heads are good, but not great. I do use them quite extensively for travel.

They are not super rigid (which is is okay most of the time), but simply are not strong enough to take a full-frame body and large lens. The really big advantage over Manfrotto is that they use the "standard" Arca-Swiss plate, versus the custom Manfrotto one. There is a fair bit of gear out there built around the Arca-Swiss design.
    Manfred Thanks,
    This particular one with a head mounted on it would be just at the right height for me without raising the center column and if anything I would be going lower instead of higher I would think, not sure about that so don't hold me to it. The "standard" Arca-Swiss plate would be a requirement for me.
    Almost all of the reviews stated that this one was a solid tripod even with a FF camera and large lens. I find looking for something in my price range to be a very difficult task, but will keep plugging away at it as there has to be one out there for a fellow with shallow pockets.

I forgot to mention that I have the 60D with the 17-55mm and 70-300mm lenses. So I am not looking at that much weight or am I?
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 2nd January 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sounds like you have exactly what you are looking for. I find that the spikes are great for outdoor work, but they could have come up with a more elegant design. They also seem to have improved the centre column tightening device. The 55" height would be a couple of inches short for me to work at, but not too bad compared to some I've seen.

Look around for heads too (a good one is not going to be cheap). I use a RRS BH-55 on the Feisol if I am not traveling (it weighs about 2 lbs by itself) and have a Benro that weighs a lot less (12 oz) when I do).

Real Name
    Lex

I recommend having a look at Vanguard ball heads. They don't have a lot of history, but they're very good for the money. Arca-Swiss, fairly light, with good locks, and predictable drag. In accordance with my tendency toward overkill, I use an SBH-250 head rated (optimistically) for 44lb. Pretty solid combo when paired with my (aluminum) Three-Legged Thing Jack tripod.

Note that whatever material you go for, larger leg diameters are more important than material, more sections cause some loss in stability, and the center section will significantly reduce stability. I would not trade my aluminum, 3-section Jack for my sister's 5-section carbon Manfrotto travel 'pod, plus I removed, and don't use, the center section.

You'd think tripods would be simple, but like anything, technique is important. Where possible, ditch the center section, extend the thickest leg sections first, and weight/stake the legs for maximum benefit. With Big White Primes and other hefty lenses, Really Right Stuff and Gitzo gear starts to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Sounds like you have exactly what you are looking for. I find that the spikes are great for outdoor work, but they could have come up with a more elegant design. They also seem to have improved the centre column tightening device. The 55" height would be a couple of inches short for me to work at, but not too bad compared to some I've seen.

Look around for heads too (a good one is not going to be cheap). I use a RRS BH-55 on the Feisol if I am not traveling (it weighs about 2 lbs by itself) and have a Benro that weighs a lot less (12 oz) when I do).
    Manfred I pulled out my tape measure and added the height of the ball head and it looks like it is right at eye level. I really liked the looks of the Manfroto but it was over $400.00 without all the extras and no head, not sure if that is good sign or not, probably is though. I do like most folks, like good eye appeal, but for now will have to do without it as long as this one out performs my very aged aluminum tripod. I don't think I would use the spikes, but it would be nice to have them should the need arise.

Now the head I looked at was an Induro BHD2 it has a five star, (41) reviews, rating on B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._ballhead.html http://www.indurogear.com/products/i...eads-bhd2.aspx There was one really bad review in the mix and that leaves 40 with very good reviews (open to interpretation). I would like your thoughts on the ball head if you would. I do not foresee me getting into the FF large lens category and I too have a bad back so less weight means better quality of life. LOL When they come out with the 7D MKii I might in years to come go for that one and an L lens, emphasis on years.
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 2nd January 2014 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    I recommend having a look at Vanguard ball heads. They don't have a lot of history, but they're very good for the money. Arca-Swiss, fairly light, with good locks, and predictable drag. In accordance with my tendency toward overkill, I use an SBH-250 head rated (optimistically) for 44lb. Pretty solid combo when paired with my (aluminum) Three-Legged Thing Jack tripod.

Note that whatever material you go for, larger leg diameters are more important than material, more sections cause some loss in stability, and the center section will significantly reduce stability. I would not trade my aluminum, 3-section Jack for my sister's 5-section carbon Manfrotto travel 'pod, plus I removed, and don't use, the center section.

You'd think tripods would be simple, but like anything, technique is important. Where possible, ditch the center section, extend the thickest leg sections first, and weight/stake the legs for maximum benefit. With Big White Primes and other hefty lenses, Really Right Stuff and Gitzo gear starts to make sense.
    We must have been typing at the same time I will check out your suggestions and Thanks again for your input.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Carl - for ballheads, have a look at RRS, Markins and Kirk. They tend to get the best reviews and I had a very hard look at them and opted for the RRS, based on some comments from users on CiC.

Having used Induro / Benro for a number of years, I've always found them to be the weakest part of the system; but they are less expensive than the other brands. I read a number of the reviews on the B&H site that you linked to, and most of them were rather useless (some gave the ball head a 5-star rating, but hadn't used it yet).

Real Name
    Ted

Durn this thread - it's making me look askance at my $60 'National Geographic' aluminum 5-section, plastic gimbal-headed WobbleMeister which, to my credit, is currently festooned with spider-webs . . .

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

The last tripod I bought was aluminum, but that was, frankly, for price reasons and also because that particular model can be pushed together to a very small parcel while it has a decent height and stability when extended.

If you don't need that and are looking for stability, a wooden tripod may also be a very good choice: I have two, one at least from Berlebach (of the other one I don't know the brand), and they are excellent in absorbing vibrations.

Lukas

Quote Originally Posted by lukaswerth View Post
    The last tripod I bought was aluminum, but that was, frankly, for price reasons and also because that particular model can be pushed together to a very small parcel while it has a decent height and stability when extended.

If you don't need that and are looking for stability, a wooden tripod may also be a very good choice: I have two, one at least from Berlebach (of the other one I don't know the brand), and they are excellent in absorbing vibrations.

Lukas
    Thanks Lukas,
    I have an aluminum tripod (velbon) I picked up in a yard sale for $15.00 back in 1985, with two section legs and a center column. It works fairly well as long a the center column is down but I have to sit in a chair to get behind the camera and that makes it a pain to use. Wood just may be too heavy, for me any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Durn this thread - it's making me look askance at my $60 'National Geographic' aluminum 5-section, plastic gimbal-headed WobbleMeister which, to my credit, is currently festooned with spider-webs . . .
    Ha! Ha! Don't stress out too much Ted I am about to forget it for the time being and pick it up later after I go fishing to clear the cob webs from my head. I hate shopping, I like going into a store pick up what I want pay for it and go home. arrrgg

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Ha! Ha! Don't stress out too much Ted I am about to forget it for the time being and pick it up later after I go fishing to clear the cob webs from my head. I hate shopping, I like going into a store pick up what I want pay for it and go home. arrrgg
    Me too. Spent an hour or two yesterday looking at carbon fiber tripods and heads on-line. Made my brain hurt. I've learned one thing from your thread: good idea to pick one that can be used column-down, or nearly so, comfortably - it should have been obvious really but my bench-top Giottos usually has the column down anyway.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 3rd January 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Me too. Spent an hour or two yesterday looking at carbon fiber tripods and heads on-line. Made my brain hurt. I've learned one thing from your thread: good idea to pick one that can be used column-down, or nearly so, comfortably - it should have been obvious really but my bench-top Giottos usually has the column down anyway.
    Well I have settled on two tripods so far the Induro CT213 and the CT313 the ballhead is the Induro BHL2. The CT313 would be over kill I think and is $116.00 more, but I would never have to raise the center column at all unless shooting over something tall. Plus the bottom legs would only need to be pulled out part of the way if any. Going with Manfreds advice the CT313 would be the better of the two for stability and it is not that much more in weight. It is way more for the two than I wanted to spend. But I would rather spend a little more and have what I need than to spend too little and have to try and send it back for an upgrade. Well at any rate I now know how much I'll have to start saving. Here is a site where the photog actually used both before writing a review and there is more out there.
    http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/...hl-2-ballhead/
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 3rd January 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12