Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web design: Comments invited

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Web design: Comments invited

The exchange in those last 5 messages above, show how out of my depth I am when we get beyond what can be done without resort to HTML/CSS. I just about hung on to what the guys above were discussing.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

It's certainly a huge topic and one I am very rusty on, things have moved on since I last wrote code, but many of the 'best practice' principles remain the same*, albeit even they need modifying to consider people viewing on any thing from an i-/Windows/Android Phone with a 5 inch (ish) HD screen viewed in daylight (and can easily have it's orientation changed to suit content) to someone viewing on a PC screen (typically fixed in) landscape or portrait orientation that may be HD or 4-5K these days.

* just like the rules of composition have hardly changed by the introduction of digital compared to using a plate camera 100+ years ago

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I much prefer the revised carousel.

Would it be worth saying below it - apart from the 'hard sell' - a suggestion that the images can be seen larger and under user control if the Portfolio link is followed?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I much prefer the revised carousel.

Would it be worth saying below it - apart from the 'hard sell' - a suggestion that the images can be seen larger and under user control if the Portfolio link is followed?
    Thank you.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I wouldn't want confuse the web page's source code (date/version/whatever) with the content the author has written, the two could be vastly different Ted.
    As we know, the content is embedded within the page's source file, hopefully not "vastly differently", Dave.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Oh well, the good news is that, despite my lack of prowess in the more technical aspects of web design, the request to friends and online contacts to comment on the new site has resulted in two sales so far.

So an exercise well worth doing.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Oh well, the good news is that, despite my lack of prowess in the more technical aspects of web design, the request to friends and online contacts to comment on the new site has resulted in two sales so far.

So an exercise well worth doing.
    Well done & congratulations!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

the request to friends and online contacts to comment on the new site has resulted in two sales so far.
    If it was your friends and online contacts who bought the photos, that happened because your marketing included personally reaching out to them even though you may not have intended that to be a marketing effort. If it was others who bought the photos, the purchases could indeed be attributed to the change in your website.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 27th May 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Real Name
    Sandy

I'm just curious.... do you offer a certificate of authenticity with your printed pics?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    I'm just curious.... do you offer a certificate of authenticity with your printed pics?
    Yes.

The back of the print is signed and dated and a certificate provided. That may be 'overkill' and a bit pretentious, but I think it is appreciated and welcomed.

Real Name
    Sandy

Yes.

The back of the print is signed and dated and a certificate provided. That may be 'overkill' and a bit pretentious, but I think it is appreciated and welcomed.
    I don't think it is "overkill or pretentious" at all. I appreciate that you would take the time and provide the extra bit of personal attention. Thank you for your reply!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all, again, for all the advice & guidance and particularly to Dave for his 1-to-1 support session with me this morning.

There are other things that spring out of doing something like this. For example, I have been aware for a long time that I should be writing a Artist's Statement. But I kept putting it off. Well, now I've been stimulated to sit down and do it. The first draft is in the hands of a friend who will give me good constructive comments on it.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Donald for getting me to look at my Maltese Rescue Smugmug Gallery.

https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Pets/MAL...RNIA/i-rRK5FHr

I have intended for the longest time to remove the "Buy Photos" tag from the upper left of the images. I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to sell these images. The "Buy Photos" is now removed when a visitor comes to my site.

Real Name
    Mike

I purposely didn't read the other comments yet as I want to give you my fresh impression.

Design is very clean and minimal, which is just fine. Your B&W work is absolutely gorgeous! It only took me a second to realize I needed to scroll horizontally to view the main page images, after which it was easy.

There is some old guy on your About page (ha!). The Commercial page loaded very slowly and spiked my MacBook Air's RAM usage (Safari), so once my system recovered I had to bail off the site quickly.

I got brave and re-entered the site. Portfolio page loaded fine. I went full screen slide show to see how it worked and it functioned fine, although you might speed it up just a bit (on the first image I was wondering if anything was happening even though I pressed Play).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12