Thread: Un Pissoir Anglais

Un Pissoir Anglais

This rather splendid Victorian cast iron structure once stood in a cemetery in Leicester. I hadn't appreciated that the English once imitated the French in this matter. As a male of a certain age I can only wish that there could be a revival of these things. This one was manufactured by Steven Bros. of London and has nice decorative detailing, including a lion. What does seem curious, given that the average British male was shorter than nowadays, is the surprising height of the structure. There is no door.

Un Pissoir Anglais

Real Name
    John

Re: Un Pissoir Anglais

You have to consider headwear regarding the height of the structure.

I assume it would need to be high enough so the ventilation grid was above the head level of a tall person. So nobody knew who was using it; which prevented any embarrassment. Also, as already mentioned, would a Victorian gentleman be expected to remove his hat? Particularly one of those old 'stove pipe' hats.

And nicely photographed.

Real Name
    George

Nice object. Looks like a refurnished post box to me.

I didn't know it was French. There used to be a lot in Amsterdam, with another shape and more ventilation.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I assume it would need to be high enough so the ventilation grid was above the head level of a tall person. So nobody knew who was using it; which prevented any embarrassment. Also, as already mentioned, would a Victorian gentleman be expected to remove his hat? Particularly one of those old 'stove pipe' hats.

And nicely photographed.
    Thanks Geoff. What I wasn’t able to do was add a person to my shot to show just how high it is. I must re-shoot it with my bike propped against it. It seems to me (with my near-Victorian altitude!) to be about eight feet. But then, the Victorians liked to do things in style. I remember visiting a Victorian loo at Wemyss Bay station and the porcelain urinals were like towering monumental sculptures. But I’m sure your explanation is correct
    Last edited by Davejl; 15th October 2017 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Nice object. Looks like a refurnished post box to me.

I didn't know it was French. There used to be a lot in Amsterdam, with another shape and more ventilation.

George
    I don’t know how common they were in England. I suspect that many would have been removed for their metal value during wartime (as a great many churchyard railings were). I think we Brits tend to think of anything a bit odd such as a loo like this as being French (and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the French really do call it “un pissoir anglais”. After all Brits call a condom a “French letter” and the French call it a “capote anglaise”! Incidentally, please don’t tell me that you also had/have those “footprint” loos in Holland

Just found this interesting website with some splendid examples. I've also discovered that some British-made examples can be found in Australia. But single-person urinals seem quite rare. Seems most of these cast iron structures disappeared in the name of “progress”.

http://www.hevac-heritage.org/items_...et_urinals.htm

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice one

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Davejl View Post
    I don’t know how common they were in England. I suspect that many would have been removed for their metal value during wartime (as a great many churchyard railings were). I think we Brits tend to think of anything a bit odd such as a loo like this as being French (and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the French really do call it “un pissoir anglais”. After all Brits call a condom a “French letter” and the French call it a “capote anglaise”! Incidentally, please don’t tell me that you also had/have those “footprint” loos in Holland
    I learned something again. In slang a condom in Dutch, or Amsterdam, is called "kapotje". Now I know where it comes from.
    When the former Dutch queen was crowned all the pissoirs on the route where removed.

An example of a Dutch pissoir. It looks more social.

Un Pissoir Anglais

George

Thanks George,

That is interesting. I didn’t realise that Dutch royalty were so squeamish (at least, I presume that was why they were removed).
    I’m not sure how the one you show was flushed: was it with running water? The one in my photo was flushed with rainwater, so it must have got a bit pongy during a drought. Interestingly, I’ve also found that it was originally sited in the cemetery where my great-grandparents are buried, so its quite conceivable that a relative of mine once had a leak in it

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Davejl View Post
    Thanks George,

That is interesting. I didn’t realise that Dutch royalty were so squeamish (at least, I presume that was why they were removed).
    I’m not sure how the one you show was flushed: was it with running water? The one in my photo was flushed with rainwater, so it must have got a bit pongy during a drought. Interestingly, I’ve also found that it was originally sited in the cemetery where my great-grandparents are buried, so its quite conceivable that a relative of mine once had a leak in it
    I don't remember they have flushing water. I haven't used them for a long time. They're cleaned regularly.
    I like that iron street furniture.

George