Thread: Water lilies ~ Black & White

Real Name
    Brian

Water lilies ~ Black & White

I'll be back to colour in a day or two. But I must admit that B&W has a highly addictive quality to it.

Water lilies ~ Black & White

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Water lilies ~ Black & White

Lots of interesting forms in this, and I can see why you are intrigued by B&W for this, but this image doesn't work for me. It's very busy and has no central point of interest. I do a lot of water lilies and pickerel weed (they grow together in this part of the world), and this is one of my most common reasons for tossing them. Maybe by zooming into a smaller area you could provide more focus.

People vastlymore capable that I am can create beautiful images from repetitive patterns without one clear focus, so it can be done. One of my favorites is Edward Weston's tomato field: https://www.wikiart.org/en/edward-we...ato-field-1937. However, I don't think this image pulls that off successfully.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

O, my mind is painting this green, can't help;hoped, if the pattern were not distorted here and there

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Lots of interesting forms in this, and I can see why you are intrigued by B&W for this, but this image doesn't work for me. It's very busy and has no central point of interest. I do a lot of water lilies and pickerel weed (they grow together in this part of the world), and this is one of my most common reasons for tossing them. Maybe by zooming into a smaller area you could provide more focus.

People vastlymore capable that I am can create beautiful images from repetitive patterns without one clear focus, so it can be done. One of my favorites is Edward Weston's tomato field: https://www.wikiart.org/en/edward-we...ato-field-1937. However, I don't think this image pulls that off successfully.
    I checked out Weston and he did some great work. I'll keep on working in this genre. I took years to figure out bugs and plants in colour. This may even take longer

Real Name
    Brian

When I went out to shoot I made the silly assumption that GIMP would automatically change my B&W into colour as Capture One does. Live and learn