Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Project 52, first quarter by Lindsay (CormacD)

Re: 2018 Project 52, first quarter by Lindsay (CormacD)

With the Samphire Island scene, Lindsay, I often take a handheld series of bracketed exposures then try to do a hand made merge of the images using layers and masks instead of an auto HDR.

If the scene is static (nothing major moving around) I can usually manage to merge bits like sky from one shot to another. Do an auto alignment then gently edit some masks to produce the desired effect; using a low opacity soft brush to slowly add in the effect. Even if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything because you still have the first shot. Leave a bit of cropping space in the composition for trimming off any camera movement errors.

But I know what you mean about being in a group. When setting up my camera for things like bracketed exposures I need a bit of calm clear thinking time. If I get rushed I become confused and forget to press Set, which gives me 3 identical images.

So I always keep clear of groups when I am out with my camera, or make sure everybody knows that I am liable to wander off and continue doing things my way. Otherwise you all have to move at the speed of the fastest which gives little time for looking around and doing your own thing.

I remember many years ago in my local pub we developed 'rules' about not buying drinks in rounds where you all end up throwing beer down your throat just to keep up with the fastest drinker.

Real Name
    John

Re: March Golden Hour 2018 Project 52, first quarter by Lindsay (CormacD)

Lindsay,

What's the goal of the walking club, is it walking only or are there other photographers in the group? I know the concept of a walking group would logically be to walk, but I would assume that particular groups of walkers have other interests such as birding or particular car models, etc.

Real Name
    John

Re: Wannanup March Golden Hour 2018 Project 52, first quarter by Lindsay (CormacD)

Nicely exposed captures, post #19.

Real Name
    Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    G'day Lindsay

Did you manage to get some keepers from the trip?
    Hi Bill, not yet we head off with our caravan this Sunday 8th for 8 weeks so should be able to get a few worth keeping and showing.

Real Name
    Lindsay

Hi Geoff, thank you for your thoughtful comments. That is good suggestion for taking bracketed hand held exposures. I usually use a tripod and HDR software which does some automatic alignment but probably not enough for hand held. I will try and work out how to do this when I get back from my travels. I'll have to try and find some suitable software as well.

The walking group is not very understanding when it comes to photography unless you are taking a quick snap with a phone camera. I have to do manual bracketed exposures with my camera but that is not a big deal except when someone is telling me to hurry up.

Travelling the next few weeks I should have enough time to do it right. Yes I remember the beer swilling days.

Real Name
    Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Lindsay,

What's the goal of the walking club, is it walking only or are there other photographers in the group? I know the concept of a walking group would logically be to walk, but I would assume that particular groups of walkers have other interests such as birding or particular car models, etc.
    Hi John, the club is a bushwalking club for over 55's, in Australia hiking out in natural areas is called bushwalking. The walks are usually day walks and range from 12 km for a short walk to up to 22 km and we rate them as easy, medium or hard depending on the steepness of the grades. Most of the people are very fit and move along at a fair pace even though a few are over 80. A lot of the members are very interested in fauna and flora and take quick snaps when they see them, but it is a bit hard to keep people waiting while setting up a tripod etc. Cheers...Lindsay

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by CormacD View Post
    Hi John, the club is a bushwalking club for over 55's, in Australia hiking out in natural areas is called bushwalking. The walks are usually day walks and range from 12 km for a short walk to up to 22 km and we rate them as easy, medium or hard depending on the steepness of the grades. Most of the people are very fit and move along at a fair pace even though a few are over 80. A lot of the members are very interested in fauna and flora and take quick snaps when they see them, but it is a bit hard to keep people waiting while setting up a tripod etc. Cheers...Lindsay
    Hi Lindsay,

I can see your dilemma, the time needed to set up a tripod is one of the reasons I rarely use one; I prefer a monopod as I can setup the camera while walking and just plant the monopod shoot a half dozen or so frames and still keep up with a group, plus the monopod makes for a good walking stick.

Real Name
    Lindsay

Yes John' thank you, I think that is a good suggestion, I'll check out some Monopods and try out. Cheers.....Lindsay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12