Thread: need help in choosing color checker and software

Real Name
    Dan

need help in choosing color checker and software

Not sure which of the forums this belongs in.

I decided it's time to bite the bullet and get a color checker. However, the choices aren't clear to me. Datacolor has one, the SpyderCHECKR 24, which is inexpensive and apparently integrates with LR, doing an HSL adjustment, which sounds easy both to use and to adjust to taste. The standard is of course the X-Rite ColorChecker Classic, which apparently comes with no software, requiring that you use the Adobe DNG profile editor or other software. Then there is the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo, which comes with two other targets (which I don't need) and its own software.

Any suggestions about pros and cons?

Thanks

Dan

Real Name
    Russell

Re: need help in choosing color checker and software

Use the colourchecker all the time, have the passport, make my own camera profiles with it, calibrate my meter L758 with it, only takes a couple minutes to do. Best advice would be go on there web site or youtube to see what version you would find best for you. Russ

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Use the colourchecker all the time, have the passport, make my own camera profiles with it, calibrate my meter L758 with it, only takes a couple minutes to do. Best advice would be go on there web site or youtube to see what version you would find best for you. Russ
    Thanks. I wasn't very specific in my note. I am less interested in creating profiles for my cameras than to be able to do ad hoc adjustments for studio shots, e.g., flowers, under less than ideal lighting. It was the interachange about LEDs that got me thinking about it. It looks like the Spyder will let you do that, but what I have read so far is just too incomplete. On the other hand, if I am doing it at all, I might as well do camera profiles for some other situations as well.

However, I just stumbled on this thread, which has postings by Andrew Rodney, one of which has long quotes from Jeff Schewe. The pair of them is about as authoritative as any pair could be...
    Last edited by DanK; 6th May 2018 at 03:40 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Dan I have both the Spyder and the CC Passport. I started off with the Spyder but after some frustrations with it I bit the bullet and bought a CCP. I should have gone with the CCP right from the start. There are two basic issues with the Spyder as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that it doesn't produce a proper profile but rather a LR or ACR preset for the HSL adjustment

The layout of the patches is different to that of the XRite and I suspect the colors are also a bit different (so you can't use software designed for the XRite product with it - and most profiling software is like that, with the exception of RawDigger profile edition)

You mention that you only want to tweek HSL but why not get one that can do proper profiles as well? You'll find it far more useful.

The article you linked to says it all really.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 6th May 2018 at 06:57 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Dave,

Thanks. I’m buying a color checker, as you suggest

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk