Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

Re: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Thanks Joe!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Sandy, when I saw the first photo my immediate reaction was "Wow!". I think it's because of the sharpness of the focus on most of the dragonfly and the colours in the photo.

What lens were you using? I have a vague recollection of your saying that you often use your 100-400m.
    Hi Bruce - You are right! It is the Canon 100-400 lens. Around our place, I'm always trying to get closeups of the wildlife and for this reason, this lens seems to be the one that is most always on the camera! <lol> I'm still learning where all the controls are located on my camera/lens but I'm slowly becoming more comfortable using the Mark II and this lens together. For my pocket, the lens was a bit pricey but I don't regret spending the money on it now!

I'm glad you like the dragon fly! They are always on the move and fun to chase down! <grin> Thanks for commenting!

Real Name
    Greg

It's not just the wonderful detail that Joe mentioned which makes this images well above average, it is the way you have framed the subjects in the environment. ie great composition, Sandy.

I recently acquired the Canon 100-400 lens too, and I find that is increasingly becoming my go to lens.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    It's not just the wonderful detail that Joe mentioned which makes this images well above average, it is the way you have framed the subjects in the environment. ie great composition, Sandy.

I recently acquired the Canon 100-400 lens too, and I find that is increasingly becoming my go to lens.
    Hi Greg - I'm smiling because of the praise! Thank you! Sometimes things come together and of course other times, they don't. But when there is success, it adds to the fun of photography!

Enjoy your Canon lens! For me, it is a treat to have!

Thank you for commenting!

Real Name
    Bill

Superb set of Dragon Fly images, all are sharp and with great detail. Strangely enough (in the sense that I tend to like my insect macros "up close and personal") the classic pose in the last one is my favourite.

Well done Sandy!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Superb set of Dragon Fly images, all are sharp and with great detail. Strangely enough (in the sense that I tend to like my insect macros "up close and personal") the classic pose in the last one is my favourite.

Well done Sandy!
    Hi Bill - I almost didn't include the last one but I liked the color of the dragonfly. Also the way it was perched on the top of the unopened lily caught my attention. I had fun taking those pictures. I'm glad you like the results and I definitely appreciate the helpful and of course, the positive comments!

Thank you!

Real Name
    Sandy

Two additional photos - These maybe aren't quite "up to snuff" but I wanted to show something that I've not seen before. I didn't have much time to capture it so that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!

But this is the more normal way that I see Dragonflies mating.

2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

And this one is something I've not seen before. First their pose and then the fact that they chose to land in an evergreen tree to rest. I was aggravated with myself because I managed not to include the entire bottom dragonfly. I was interested in the pose and forgot to be sure I had the entire scene. I had taken as many as they gave me time for and wouldn't you know, they were all somewhat the same. <huge sigh>

Egg laying scenes, with a male holding a female, always make good subjects, Sandy; but are usually fraught with technical difficulties so you did well here.

The head to tail mating pose is also good. Yes, if had managed to include all of the female's wings it would have been perfect.

However, you do have a heart shape formed by their bodies so you get some bonus marks for that.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Geoff - I think I figured out some of what I did wrong. But gee, knowing the mistake I made "after the fact" is frustrating. I had moved the focus point to accommodate a flower picture I was taking for planting history so I can look back through photos next spring and know what I had planted where in our yard. And then, I'd forgotten to center the focus point properly. <huge sigh>

But - hey! I got bonus marks! So I'm happy! <chuckle> Thanks for the positive comments! You made my day!

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 32 - It's been a bit since I've posted my favorite model. I caught Mr. Bullfrog enjoying a splash in the waterfall feature of the koi pond. He's been hiding most of the time so I was pleased to see him here.

Mr. Bullfrog - f/5.6 - ISO1250 - 1/1250ss

Looks good to me. Clear focus and good exposure of a tricky subject.

Real Name
    Sandy

Thank you Geoff! If I remember correctly about this pic, I think I was trying out a CPL that I recently acquired! I wanted to see if it actually helped cut down glare. I still "burned" it a tiny bit to tone it down but I think overall, the 'out of camera' results gave me a good place to start PP. The water running down his toes made me chuckle too!

Real Name
    Bruce

Sandy, I agree with Geoff.

A very successful and intriguing photograph!

Real Name
    Sandy

Thank you Bruce! Occasionally this bullfrog will sit in the waterfall area but I have never seen him on "the edge" before. So I was glad I was at the right place at the right time and had my camera with me!

Real Name
    Sandy

I have to add a second photo. <chuckle>

Bullfrog Tadpole - ISO640 - f/5.6 - 1/125 The ISO is currently set to automatic. I didn't think I needed much shutter speed since the tadpole is sitting in one spot.

For PP, I dehazed this 100% and I did remove some "dirt" spots but since it is pond water and not especially clear, it is impossible to remove it all. Also I did sharpen the tadpole to bring him out more distinctly. Also burned some of the brighter areas.
    There was a CPL mounted to my lens that I thought might help with the glare from the water. This is also handheld since I still haven't made a decision about a tripod.

So now I would appreciate opinions.... did I overdo the PP on this photo?
    Also when trying to capture pics of things under the water, is there any technique that would help make it better, short of getting an underwater camera?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

OH and this is what Mr. Bullfrog looked like in his childhood stage! We've spotted two of these little ones in the koi pond. I am hopeful that I can get the entire tadpole in a photo. They can't jump but they are fast swimmers!

Real Name
    Dan

The bullfrog is really well done, Sandy.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    The bullfrog is really well done, Sandy.
    Thank you Dan!

Tadpole looks OK to me, although I did wonder about a 4 x 5 ratio crop to reduce some of that distracting background? But not too tight a crop.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Tadpole looks OK to me, although I did wonder about a 4 x 5 ratio crop to reduce some of that distracting background? But not too tight a crop.
    Hi Geoff - Originally, my thought was to show the tadpole's environment, but I like your suggestion even better! See if you also think this is an improvement and what you envisioned?

Thanks!

There are several slight crop variations available there but that is along the lines of what I was thinking. You still have sufficient background elements to show the general environment.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast