Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

Re: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

I have to (just have to, ya know!) post one more photo of this caterpillar. I'd read about a parasite that lays eggs on Tobacco Hornworms but I can't say that I've ever seen it happen in our garden. Looking at the following photo, toward the bottom I spotted one white egg!

I also happen to like this photo with the whitish haze around it. Since it was mid-day and I was battling the sunshine, I reckon the conditions caused this. I'll admit, I don't know why but I'll happily accept it. I did "burn" the haze a bit to tone it down so I hope I didn't darken the photo too much. On my screen it looks okay but I don't know how it will appear to others.

2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    David

[QUOTE=skitterbug;720531]Hi Geoff - I totally agree but unfortunately, the bottom edge of the viewing area and his head are what they are. I couldn't crop the bottom any differently.

In Photoshop (and maybe alternatives) you could try extending (not stretching ) the image downwards and using edit/fill/content aware to create more space below the caterpillar.

Something like:

But I have to say, Sandy, it is a great shot exactly as you presented it.

David

Real Name
    Sandy

In Photoshop (and maybe alternatives) you could try extending (not stretching ) the image downwards and using edit/fill/content aware to create more space below the caterpillar.

Something like:

But I have to say, Sandy, it is a great shot exactly as you presented it.
    David
    Hi David - I like what you did! I don't use Photoshop - too expensive now for my amateur use but I do have Affinity Photo and I bet there is a way to do this same thing within that application. I'll have to look!

I appreciate your kind words as well. Thank you!

Increase the Canvas size then clone over the new blank area with data from the existing image, Sandy.

There are other options with Photoshop which you might also have in Affinity, but a simple bit of cloning will get you there.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Increase the Canvas size then clone over the new blank area with data from the existing image, Sandy.
    There are other options with Photoshop which you might also have in Affinity, but a simple bit of cloning will get you there.
    Hi Geoff - I've played with this idea but still haven't had good results. I think it is a technique I'm going to have to develop over time.

Hi David - I haven't found what I want in Affinity Photo to accomplish what you and Geoff are suggesting that I do. If I had material from another photo that matched this one fairly close, I think I could make it work. But so far I still haven't mastered a decent finished product. More work and study on my part is required!

Thank you both for your suggestions!

Real Name
    Sandy

So I keep messing about and finally ended up with the following. I definitely would appreciate feedback about this one.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    So I keep messing about and finally ended up with the following. I definitely would appreciate feedback about this one.

The creation of the additional space works well, Sandy; but on the whole I prefer your original image which seems to have more deep blacks on the body and eye and is generally sharper.

David

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The creation of the additional space works well, Sandy; but on the whole I prefer your original image which seems to have more deep blacks on the body and eye and is generally sharper.

David
    Hi David - I agree with your assessment. What happened is that I went back to the original RAW file and started over. I added to the canvas and forgot to do any of the extra PP work that I'd done on the first one..... which I have done now. I also cropped a bit differently, I see.......

I'm using SmugMug and chose to replaced the photo. It apparently feeds the substitute photo through on the original link because the one posted now on my older post (#106) is the newer version of the photo. Hope that makes sense? And I hope you like the changes.

Thanks for the C&C

That makes a better composition, Sandy. And another skill has be learned.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    That makes a better composition, Sandy. And another skill has be learned.
    Hi Geoff - Thank you!

And yes, that's what these P52 projects are all about - learning from suggestions made by helpful people! And I appreciate it lots!

Real Name
    John

I'd go with a tighter crop, nicely captured.

Real Name
    Bill

My reflex attitude to caterpillars is negative - they eat my veggies! But your super shots have converted me . Glad you managed to work out how to stretch the space.

You may well already have this, but here's a link to all the AP "how to" videos on Vimeo and You tube.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I'd go with a tighter crop, nicely captured.
    Hi John - I gave the caterpillar a 5x7 crop. I tried to put his "eye" on one of the cross points. Too tight of a crop? I could print this size if I'd wanted.

Thoughts?

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    My reflex attitude to caterpillars is negative - they eat my veggies! But your super shots have converted me . Glad you managed to work out how to stretch the space.

You may well already have this, but here's a link to all the AP "how to" videos on Vimeo and You tube.
    Hi Bill - there are many worms that do seem to invade the garden and I don't find them to be photographic at all! <LOL> But I do rather like the Tobacco Hornworm, especially knowing that his adult stage is interesting to see and pretty!

Yes, I do have the link to AP stuff but it is nice to also have it within the P52 for reference! I'd rather have too much information than not enough!

Thank you!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi John - I gave the caterpillar a 5x7 crop. I tried to put his "eye" on one of the cross points. Too tight of a crop? I could print this size if I'd wanted.

Thoughts?

I would go even tighter with a square crop but keeping some of the striping near the neck.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I would go even tighter with a square crop but keeping some of the striping near the neck.
    Maybe I'm still to tentative but is this more in line with your suggestion? It does tend to draw the eye to the chewing of the caterpillar.

Real Name
    David

[QUOTE=skitterbug;720989]Maybe I'm still to tentative ...but ... it does tend to draw the eye to the chewing of the caterpillar.

I think that is the best so far, Sandy - the blacks have returned, the compositional balance is good and the viewer knows exactly what the caterpillar is doing as it chomps away

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi David - Thank you - for the validation that I'm headed in the right direction - with lots of help from the group!
    I appreciate all the suggestions made!

Real Name
    John

Yes, the capture of the head is so detailed that more of the body is not needed.

Real Name
    Judith

You have come a long way in your photography. I have really enjoyed watching you grow. Love the catepillar!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast