Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

Re: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    You have come a long way in your photography. I have really enjoyed watching you grow. Love the catepillar!
    Hi Judith - Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Yes, the capture of the head is so detailed that more of the body is not needed.
    Hi John - Until I took this photo shot, I hadn't realized how fearsome this caterpillar looked! Now my imagination takes off and I can see a giant one in a Sci-Fi thriller! <LOL>

Thank you for your suggestions on improvement! I appreciate it!

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 37 - It's been raining for what seems like an eternity. I guess the only good thing about it, is that it isn't coming down as snow.

I don't have much to show for my attempt to capture a bit of beauty and a little wildlife but what I have I'll post for comments!

Actually, I'm going to post two dahlia shots. The first one was taken when the sun was shining during the late part of August. I just got to it today. It seems cheery.

#1 - Dahlia - ISO250 - f/2.8 - 1/50
    2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

This next one was taken this morning between rain drops. It seems a little less vibrant but it is also from a different plant so genetics may play a part as well.

#2 - Dahlia - ISO160 - f/5 - 1/30

And finally, I was sitting by the window watching 4 to 5 hummingbirds fighting with each other over the feeder. One felt obligated to sit on top of the pole and guard the food source. They are hilarious to watch! Greedy to boot considering we have four separate feeders for them.... all stationed well away and not even in sight of any of the other feeders.

#3 - The Guard - ISO1000 - f/5.6 - 1/1250

Last edited by skitterbug; 9th September 2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Wrong data.... now corrected

Real Name
    Bruce

Sandy, these are well done photos with interesting text. Thanks for posting them.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Sandy, these are well done photos with interesting text. Thanks for posting them.
    Hi Bruce - I appreciate your assessment! I'm glad you enjoyed the text!

Thank you!

They all work OK and you have avoided the frequent problems of over exposure and over saturation which can occur with this sort of scene. Maybe just a fraction tight with the dahlia crops, but nothing serious. With the last one (hummingbird) I would clone out that strand of spider's web. If there was a whole web, or at least a substantial part, I would leave it; but at the moment it tends to look more like a scratch line than a web.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    They all work OK and you have avoided the frequent problems of over exposure and over saturation which can occur with this sort of scene. Maybe just a fraction tight with the dahlia crops, but nothing serious. With the last one (hummingbird) I would clone out that strand of spider's web. If there was a whole web, or at least a substantial part, I would leave it; but at the moment it tends to look more like a scratch line than a web.
    Hi Geoff - (I haven't found any fungi yet.... sigh) Thanks for the feedback on the dahlias and the hummingbird. I did look at that strand of web but I thought it wouldn't be distracting. Of course I'd been staring at the photo for a bit while doing PP so it began to look natural to me. I can see why it might be a distraction to others. Fortunately removing something like that isn't difficult!

Real Name
    John

Nice series week 37, I appreciate the capture of the reds as they always (sometimes) give me a bit of a challenge subduing the intensity of the color, in this photography game you'd think you wouldn't have to and if printing the image supposedly with the help of soft proofing it can be done. Will you or have you printed any of your Print 52 challenges?

Real Name
    Sandy

Nice series week 37, I appreciate the capture of the reds as they always (sometimes) give me a bit of a challenge subduing the intensity of the color, in this photography game you'd think you wouldn't have to and if printing the image supposedly with the help of soft proofing it can be done. Will you or have you printed any of your Print 52 challenges?
    Hi John - I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! Thank you for your thoughts about them.

Very early on when Manfred suggested the P52 Challenge for printing, I'd thought about trying it but quickly realized that I didn't have the equipment to do it. My printing currently is done by a laser printer and it is for documents, etc. I'd checked online print services and became overwhelmed with all the choices. So in answer to your question, yes, sometime along the way, I'd like to print some of my work, but no, I haven't attempted to.

And as usual, now I'm curious about what others do? There is something about having that hard copy to see rather than a digital photo.

Thank you for posing the question because it also makes me realize that I need to consider the results of my PP work in light of the possibility of having the work printed. Food for thought!

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 38 - Our landscape seems to have some interesting "wildlife" stirring. Of course the spiders are stringing webs everywhere and when I go for a stroll, I have to be careful or I crash right into them. I don't mind either spiders or snakes so long as I see them first!

When I was trying to capture this one, I was wishing I had the 100mm macro lens with me. But I didn't so I did the best I could with 100-400mm lens. I used the following settings: ISO250 - F/11 - 1/800. I was trying to get the entire spider in proper focus and include some of his web.

Spider

I haven't seen a garter snake since late spring. I'm not sure where they've been hiding but he seemed very familiar with the rock formation that we have for our waterfall feature in the koi pond. So I imagine he's been hiding there during the very hot dry days. This one did not like having a camera pointed in his direction! I missed a couple of great opportunities because I wasn't ready. One was of him in the water with his head resting on a lily pad. I did not expect to see him there! I'd been taking a few photos of the water flowers so I just wasn't ready. I'm still aggravated by my loss of that opportunity!

Here, he was trying to sneak from one rock area to another.
    ISO1250 - f/11 - 1/80

Snake

Real Name
    Dan

Couple of nice shots, Sandy. I hate those big spiders. More specifically I hate walking through the woods in the dark and running into one of those big webs. It just engulfs you and creeps me out knowing that big spider is on me somewhere

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Dan - I am in agreement, a spider ON me is totally different than me just seeing one. UG. My guess is that this one was approximately 2 1/2" in length. It was welcome to stay right where it was and I moved along!

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it!

Both work well, Sandy, and they are rather tricky exposures.

I always try to avoid spider webs when walking outdoors. My thinking is that the spider has spent a lot of time creating its web so it definitely doesn't want some giant creature crashing around and destroying all that hard work.

Real Name
    John

Nice creature captures.

Real Name
    Bill

Week 37: The dahlia shots are stunning Sandy! The bird one didn't "do it" for me - I found the pose a bit awkward.

Week 38: Enjoyed the images and the narrative.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Both work well, Sandy, and they are rather tricky exposures.

I always try to avoid spider webs when walking outdoors. My thinking is that the spider has spent a lot of time creating its web so it definitely doesn't want some giant creature crashing around and destroying all that hard work.
    Hi Geoff - It is amazing the spiders can make those webs. Intricate and beautiful - at least until I run into them. Dan had it right when he mentioned a big web "engulfs" a person. Hard to get it removed too!

Thanks for commenting!

Real Name
    Sandy

Nice creature captures.
    Thank you for checking them out!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Week 37: The dahlia shots are stunning Sandy! The bird one didn't "do it" for me - I found the pose a bit awkward.

Week 38: Enjoyed the images and the narrative.
    Hi Bill - The little hummingbird was "hunched up" because it was drizzling that day. I was surprised by its tenacious spirit. I have a couple more of them to post here once I'm finished with them. You'll see what I mean! BTW, they have headed south! Or wherever they go.... we might have one or two hanging around but not the large batch that was here earlier!

The Japanese beetles are finally done pestering every living plant and the dahlias are taking advantage by producing some beautiful flowers. Thankfully!

Thanks for your thoughts about these photos! And I'm glad you enjoyed the narrative!

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi Bill - The little hummingbird was "hunched up" because it was drizzling that day. I was surprised by its tenacious spirit. I have a couple more of them to post here once I'm finished with them. You'll see what I mean!
    Thanks Sandy. The hummer image works well in the context of the story. Look forward to seeing some more.

Real Name
    Sandy

To continue the Hummingbird episode, I'll post a few more that I managed to capture. The rain was lightly falling, there was a breeze but it was warm. The hummingbird activity was ongoing. This feeder is just outside of my computer room so I had a front row seat!

The picture I posted earlier (#123) seemed to be the most bossy of the group and definitely took exception to anyone trying to have a meal from "its feeder". I've seen fights before but never as ferociously active as these battles. As it turns out, they must have been preparing for their trip south because they left the next day or so. It is dull not having them whizzing around.

Hope the photos show a bit of what I watched that day!

#1 - Combat in air. This is more the norm for hummingbirds.

#2 - Better yet - let's stab with the beak!

#3 - Hang on and pull!

#4 - Falling away!

#5 - Back for more!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast