Thread: The Yellow Automobile

Real Name
    Ole

The Yellow Automobile

I spotted this yellow car the other day. This was a three seconds decision - shoot and hope for the best. I thought it was worth sharing. C&C most welcome.

The Yellow Automobile

Real Name
    Ted

Re: The Yellow Automobile

Nice acutance and DOF for a moving target!! The driver looks content with his lot.

OK but a pity that you didn't have a slow enough shutter speed to blur the rear wheel. At the moment it rather looks as though the car is stationary while the world around him is blurred.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The yellow car body and red wheel definitely catch the viewer's attention, but I'm not sure if the rest of the image works particularly well as there are a lot of distracting elements there that really do not complement the rest of the image. Shallow DoF can work to soften distracting elements, but often they are still there and have a negative influence on the image.

I agree with Geoff regarding the shutter speed. While the car might have been moving, it could have just as well have been waiting for a traffic light to change.

The problem with "grab shots" is that we see a potential image, but don't have enough time to execute well . It looks like that is what happened here. The bright car caught your eye, but given the very limited time to decide on what to do, you probably couldn't do much other than raise your camera to your eye and take your shot.