Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's in my C drive?

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: What's in my C drive?

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I would suggest that your C drive is a little small for what you need. Maybe having a bit more would be advisable. What size files does your camera produce, especially any RAW files?

Unless you know the system and the programmes you are using well, then you may run into unexpected problems like this.

Maybe not keeping anything but your current work files and system/used programme files on board with images immediately removed to an offline separate SSD/HDD.
    I respectfully disagree. He has a SSD "C" drive of 128 GB. On my computer my OS and all my programs use up 58 GB of my 220 GB SSD. i do not think it the size of his c drive that is the problem

He has already worked out that files such as pictures should not be stored on that drive, and he has moved them. Whether that is the source of his problem is still unclear.

Real Name
    Ian

Seven years ago, I ‘future proofed’ my computer by selecting a 750Gb SSD drive and 16Gb of RAM.

It has run all photo processing software including full Photoshop CS successfully and reasonably swiftly, although I would imagine upgrading in the next couple of years, although as it uses a different OS, I find that obsolecence is less of an issue than on MS machines.

Understanding how it all works is useful but some OS’s need more understanding than others.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Seven years ago, I ‘future proofed’ my computer by selecting a 750Gb SSD drive.
    I think you future proofed yourself for life !!!!

Real Name
    Julian

Thanks. I have remembered that I may have backed up my iPad to my laptop using iTunes. I can’t seem to see these files on there, but if the contents of the iPad are lurking on there somewhere, that might account for quite a bit (the iPad capacity is 32 GB)?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Your computer will store all kinds of “garbage” on you “c:” drive. Anything from temporary files from software installation to copies of web pages you have loaded. These can grow quite quickly and put a lot of useless data on it. Try running then Windows Disk Cleanup utility to remove these temporary files.

Real Name
    Dan

Cantab/Bruce sent me a PM about this thread, and I have been unable to get the system to accept replies or even to accept a fresh PM. (I explained this in a separate post in the Community Lounge.) so I will have to resort to answering it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab
    Hi Dan,
    I've seen your reference to Power Desk Pro and had a look at the website for it. I was pleased to see that it still works with Windows 7.
    I get the impression that you feel its bells and whistles are worth the cost. Is that correct?
    Regards,
    Bruce
    Bruce,

My first reply disappeared. Here's hoping this one doesn't...

I wouldn't be without either that or a similar product. I have had this on every computer I have used for years, and I usually use three at any one time. The two things I rely on are its far better file manager and its synchronization tool. It also does file encryption (only 128 bit, but adequate) and includes the size manager I mentioned.

I noticed today that the numbers from the size manager don't match the numbers from the file manager, but nonetheless, it can show you where the bulk of your files are.

There are other similar packages, and some may be better. My impression is that there is very little ongoing development of PowerDesk. One alternative that looks to me as though it might be more powerful is DirectoryOpus, https://www.gpsoft.com.au/. However, it costs more--$62 US for the pro version (which is the competitor). I might go with that if I were starting from scratch, but I have three licenses for PowerDesk, and it meets my needs.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Thanks. I have remembered that I may have backed up my iPad to my laptop using iTunes. I can’t seem to see these files on there, but if the contents of the iPad are lurking on there somewhere, that might account for quite a bit (the iPad capacity is 32 GB)?
    Have you looked at the 'Properties' of each directory folder in the 'C' drive to determine the size of each one? This will give you the first clue to where data is being stored.

As an example, on my SSD (500GB /465GB available to use) 367GB is 'Used' leaving 97GB as 'Free Space'.

A quick run down the main directories shows that some 306GB is used in the 'User' Folder, the vast majority of that being images, then drawings and documents.

Windows (10) folder + Program Files folder + Program Files (x86) folder totalling just 22 GB and I have tonnes of programs loaded.

Real Name
    Julian

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions. In fact, as Peter suggested, the photos I originally put into ‘C’ were certainly part of the problem. I found about 50 GB of raws still there, so presumably I copied them to ‘D’ rather than moving them entirely. I suspect that something else is still lurking there too. I will certainly get hold of a file management program.

BTW, just to give you an idea of my level of computer-illiteracy: I thought that “x86” in the Programs list meant that there were 86 programs loaded! Mind you, the fact that this refers to 32 bit is not exactly obvious. It is one of those examples of jargon which make things obscure to the layman.
    Last edited by Thornton; 9th March 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Many thanks for the helpful suggestions. In fact, as Peter suggested, the photos I originally put into ‘C’ were certainly part of the problem. I found about 50 GB of raws still there, so presumably I copied them to ‘D’ rather than moving them entirely. I suspect that something else is still lurking there too. I will certainly get hold of a file management program.

BTW, just to give you an idea of my level of computer-illiteracy: I thought that “x86” in the Programs list meant that there were 86 programs loaded! Mind you, the fact that this refers to 32 bit is not exactly obvious. It is one of those examples of jargon which make things obscure to the layman.
    Yes x86 is where 32 bit programs get installed to on a 64 bit OS.

So having deleted those pesky raw files from your C drive and emptying the recycle bin is your drive now showing 68 gb full ? That sounds OK.

Real Name
    Julian

I’ve now found how to look at ‘C’ in more detail. There are 33.3 GB of system files, 4.5 GB of virtual memory, and 3 GB hibernation file, and I presumably have to leave all this well alone.

16.2 GB of apps and games. Just scrolling through the list I can’t see how the values can amount to 16 GB: many are just a few KB, others a few MB, though some don’t have sizes against them, e.g. NVIDIA. Maybe these are large programs (and I know they are important and to be left alone).

Temporary files are 7 GB.

“Compress your OS drive” 12.5 GB? I don’t know what I could/should do about that.

So, I now have about 50 GB free space on ‘C’. I’m inclined to leave alone, but I assume that if I run short of space in due course, I could look into compressing the drive, but that as long as I use ‘D” drive for file storage, I shouldn’t run into issues for a good while yet?

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Yes x86 is where 32 bit programs get installed to on a 64 bit OS.

So having deleted those pesky raw files from your C drive and emptying the recycle bin is your drive now showing 68 gb full ? That sounds OK.
    Thanks Peter. Your reply came as I was busy typing my last post, but pretty much confirms what I was thinking (yes, 65 GB used, c 54 GB free).

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

50gb of free space is plenty. You would only use that up if you started storing photo files on it.

Things like Windows Installation/update files can use up space as can old system restore files. But to be honest if your system is running smoothly don't bother, you wont notice any difference to performance
    Last edited by pschlute; 9th March 2019 at 12:20 PM.

Real Name
    Julian

Thanks for all the help,

T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12