Thread: Spider identification request

Real Name
    André

Spider identification request

I spotted this unusual spider on a stake while working in my flower bed this morning. I call it unusual because I have never seen one like that even though I will be turning 73 later this month. I ran in the house, got my camera and managed to take a few pictures of the critter. I would appreciate it very much if someone could identify this spider from these mediocre pictures. The stake that the spider is on is half an inch in diameter.
    The reason that I would like it identified is because, about half an hour after I took these pictures, the spider unexpectedly jumped on the back of my neck and gave me a rather painful "bite" which quickly swelled up to 1 inch long by 1/2 inch wide. This seems to be strange behavior for spiders.

Re: Spider identification request

One of those times that I feel particularly happy to live in New Zealand, Andre. We have hardly anything that would harm us (maybe the odd shark). Sorry that I can't help with identification.

Real Name
    Remco

It's one of the jumping spiders (Salticidae), as shown by the two large frontal eyes.
    It might be Phidippus purpuratus, one of the larger ones.

Real Name
    André

Thanks Jim & Remco.
    I think that I've narrowed it down to one of these four: Platycryptus undatus, Phidippus audax, Phidippus borealis or Phidippus purpuratus. And that is close enough for me.