Thread: Winter Clouds and fog

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Winter Clouds and fog

I have moved to the Okanagan Valley of Southern British Columbia. I an informed that clouds and fog are a very common aspect of winter here (due to the warmer lake and colder air aloft). Rather than snow, which does make an appearance but is short lived.

If I have to deal with clouds and not snow, does not seem such a bad trade off if I can get these sort of shots

Winter Clouds and fog

Winter Clouds and fog

Winter Clouds and fog

Re: Winter Clouds and fog

Looks good, although I wonder about cropping the second image a fraction closer at the bottom; similar to the third image

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I very much like the first image; images 2 and 3 have much latent in them, but i feel not brought out....

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Looks good, although I wonder about cropping the second image a fraction closer at the bottom; similar to the third image
    Thanks Geoff Debated that, however I elected to keep the bit of mist in the lower right. Certainly is a consideration, and I will play with some crops again to see what I like. Going to give it a bit of a rest for several weeks, then go back fresh eyes.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I very much like the first image; images 2 and 3 have much latent in them, but i feel not brought out....
    Can you elaborate a bit on your thought? Will give me a better handle on where you think they should, or can, go. (Aside from the trash, which is always an option for me!)

Maybe try increasing the contrast by darkening the blacks or a little Dehaze Filter. But I fear this could be counter productive and produce an overly harsh result

Real Name
    Sharon

first image is fantastic!
    2nd and 3rd also great, but just a step below #1 IMHO. They are mysterious which is great, but maybe the crop suggested would work? Don't know.
    We get that fog / mist/ freeze here in SO Oregon, and I'd like to capture some images as well. You have given me some inspiration.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I too feel enhancing the contrast can improve the scene. In the third image the sky occupies too much space, without a proportional contribution, that weakens the appeal

Real Name
    Daniel

I find the second image the most interesting. It directs the viewer to peek through the foggy mist to what lays beyond, unconcealed. I thought cropping the bottom a bit was a good possibility as suggested by Geoff. I cropped a copy. to see and came up with reasons why it improved the image. The next morning I again looked at the original and prefeed it as it stands.
    Last edited by escape; 9th December 2020 at 10:47 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bob,

It is good to see you making the most of the landscapes in your new area.

I think Geoff's idea of a lower edge crop to #2 would work without losing the lower right corner mist, I would take 8% height off the lower edge - IOW, not as much as #3. This would, to me, better balance the top and bottom of the composition.

If #3 were mine, I'd improve the contrast of the diagonal element top right, which is (for me) too easily missed, then crop about 12% off width from LHS, so the dark diagonal there balances the same angle top right corner. This results in an almost square composition, which reminds me of 'our' Donald.

#1 is just lovely.

Cheers,
    Dave

Real Name
    Joe

Lovely shots, I like the first a lot!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

+1 to Greg and Dave's comments. I would make recommendations along those lines as well.

I definitely prefer the first image, but I find the top too "hot" and if it were my image, I would start with a gradient on the top to calm things down a bit.

With the second two images, I would look at the bottom crop to see about how that affects the overall balance of the image. I would also dodge those dark areas on the bottom to open up the details.

All that being said, I guess we won't have to worry about you getting stuck in -40 temperatures in the middle of some field with and old barn and fence this year.

Winter Clouds and fog