Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting strange looks for taking pictures.

Real Name
    Martyn

Re: Getting strange looks for taking pictures.

i enjoy taking other photographers pictures too, especially when i am quicker on the draw, this guy was about to take my photo,you can see the miffed expression as he realised i was on him first,lol, cheers martyn

snapper.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 30th December 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by nomadr View Post
    i enjoy taking other photographers pictures too, especially when i am quicker on the draw, this guy was about to take my photo,you can see the miffed expression as he realised i was on him first,lol, cheers martyn
    I'm the same way, taking photographers pictures, but it's so much more interesting when you see them in the middle of their setup, especially the ones who take chances with their health or the safety of their equipment.

I find situation in UK can indeed border on harassement and hope it isn't so bad on your side of the pond. One thing I have noticed makes a huge difference is acting completely natural like there is nothing wrong with taking photos in public. People still react back but they tend to judge your reaction and that is what they act on. I find if they act unusually and you completely shrug it off as if they are rather foolish (but not in an arrogant way o course) for thinking you're "up to something" and act normal still they tend to back off and think it's them who is acting strange not you since your body language and reaction just kind of confirms they are the ones acting odd. I've found this reverses most situations.

The only time it doesn't really do much is with the police (at least here). Some seem hell bent on insisting you're up to something as they don't understand and people, particularly authority figures, don't seem to react well to stuff they don't understand. Don't get me wrong the majority of coppers are ok but the younger males with less experience seem to fall into the tap the most I find of failing to comprehend much of what you say so assume you are indeed guilty of some unfathomable crime. Reacting politely to their often over strong attitude will persuade most that you're actually not up to something and I've found they often wish me luck even and become more pleasant if you don't get an attitude with them. I've had a few who still push it but the last one I put it in writing to public relations division of my local bridewell that one of their officers was out of line and had overstepped the mark.

He seen me photographing something of a night and stopped me on sight after that. He didn't seem very intelligent and didn't respond to much reason at all and refused to believe the long exposures were the photos he saw me take right in front of him even watching me press the shutter because thy were "too bright" so he clung to that but I stayed patient none the less. He stopped me on sight for naught after that encounter. This includes stoppign his van in the middle of a side road at 8pm one night whilst walking home from the supermarket. Screaming don't move, hands out, bag on floor, step 6 foot back, DONT MOVE, etc etc all this from behind his vehicle door as he sent his partner to check the contents of my backpack as I reeled off the contents from memory. I even tried making light of the situation but he was convinced I was some kind of terrorist who obviously walked around rigged up to blow. His partner on that occassion seemed extremely bewildered at what was going on. After putting it in writing including exact times of the first incident courtesy of the exif data of my photos I said I was willing to provide so they could even assess the shots. I also have 2 character witnesses who are retired coppers one of whom was a sarg for a long time and mentioned in a very diplomatic way I really didn't want to but if it happened again the next contact would be through my solicitor in the interests of the police too since inexperienced officer who wont learn creates situations for others who have to pick up their slack. He hasn't sopped me again since and I had no further problems although had a few attitudes but nothing that major.

One thing not to do is say something like "shouldn't you be catching real criminals" since that old classic NEVER goes down well, besides we all know their real job is not fighting crime as such but is more social control and order maintainance along with property protection in reality.

Real Name
    Robin

On a very bright sunny day I wanted a spectacular and extreme shot of St Peter and St Paul in Brno.

With a jacket over my head and camera so I could see the display on my little point ans shoot I lay on the footpath to accentuate the height. It was around mid day, her indoors, outdoors this day, was not amused, the traffic started pile up.! The guy in the front car had stopped and was asking her in Czech if the person on the footpath was ok and did he need an ambulance!!

I didn't get the shot, I got too much grief from "her indoors"!

So I only have a shot with the tramlines in the way, I think it impossible to get a shot without them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rawill; 31st December 2010 at 11:27 PM.

Real Name
    Chuck

Street photography does take some degree of assertiveness for sure. However, what about the other side of the coin where, just because you have a camera in hand and a bag of extras over your shoulder, a stranger comes up to you, hands you a P&S and asks you to take their picture because you look like a professional? I must admit, I've had that happen only a few times. Made me feel good.

Real Name
    Robin

On the above, I had an interesting experience with a bus load of German tourists on the Scottish Border near Jedburgh.

They had a piper there, I had just taken a photo with my P&S! I was walking away and a guy came after me asking me to take a pic.
    Next thing I know I had 2 arms full of cameras, they all wanted a pic! So of course when i finished I ran off with their cameras!!

I ended up with 2 bottles of German beer for my efforts.
    Pity I am not a beer drinker!

I never took a good camera on our 3 month holiday.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by b00gym4n View Post
    I just recently got into photography so I've been pretty much sharpening my skills by taking pictures of random things around my area. No one seems friendly and I feel a bit paranoid at times. A lot of people give me strange looks. For example, I was taking a picture of a water fountain where this couple were sitting at and the guy tells his gf "he better not be taking a ****ing picture of me". There's also this awkwardness while taking pictures in public... What can I do to overcome these small obstacles?

There are two issues:

1. the other people hassling and
    2. your general un-comfortableness being out there, in public, with a camera.

The second one is easier to manage – just take your camera everywhere – get used to it.

The first issue is more problematic and has degrees of severity.

IMO you need to know two things and know them properly and definitively:

1. The law as it pertains to taking Photographs in Public - IN YOUR COUNTRY / STATE / LOCAL JURISDICTION

2. When to push those laws and more importantly, when to back off.

In general terms, being polite and open about carrying a camera and generally overt in taking pictures is a good start.

But, there are many people in the streets all over the world who want to play Policeman when it comes to others taking Photographs.

In my experience most of these people have no idea what the law actually is, but they can sometimes get quite aggressive enforcing what they believe is correct, nonetheless.

There are also the pseudo Police (security guards and public employees, for example) who can get it all wrong.

And then there are the Police who can get it wrong, too.

It is usually safer and easier for one to feel the limits when photographing on one’s own turf – so in that regard you should trust your gut instincts about what parts of CA are more camera friendly than others . . . but that doesn’t change the fact that you can act and take any photos you like according to the laws where you are – so I suggest you find out what the law is first - and then bone up on your people and transactional analysis skills.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by b00gym4n View Post
    I'm glad I am not the only one. Can anyone help me understand the laws in California a bit more on shooting photos? I had no idea there were any, besides the obvious ones such as looking through peoples windows and etc.
    A start for you:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...aw_rights.html

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by nire View Post
    Here in Australia, by law, no-one owns their image or personality, which means you could technically photograph anyone in public. You could even take a picture of someone in their own backyard providing you were standing on public ground. Of course respect is an issue and laws for publishing defamatory material are quite harsh. Things get tricky if you sell your images so a model release form could save future problems. Parents are obviously very protective of their children and I remember a recent newspaper article about a photographer being attacked and accused of pedophilia for taking photos at the beach. As a student photographer I too find it difficult even at parties to be shoving a camera in peoples faces - I hope as I gain more experience I will develop the right balance of professionalism and discretion that will encourage trust from my subjects.
    Gidday nire . . .
    Disclaimer: Not legal advice – but just a few comments for a student drawn from a few things I have gleaned over a few years.

1. There are some instances, however, where the the Subject is deemed to own the Copyright of the image.

2. There are some limitations about “anyone/anything in public” – these limitations have nothing to do with people not owning their image or personality.

3. Not so fast on the back yard shot: research the Subjects' expectation of privacy within their property - nothing to do with publishing the image.

4. Things are not always necessarily “tricky” for works of editorial value, as one example where model releases might not be required – there are other examples.

5. Parents are naturally protective of their children – most of them have no idea of what laws are the laws to protect their children and also are usually just as ignorant of the laws which can find them being charged with assault.

6. The beach is an interesting one. Various Local Councils are playing by-laws games. You should be aware and also I suggest active, if it is happening near you.
    IMO a Beach (and Park with swings) are Public Places where I can take MY children, nieces and nephews and also take as many PHOTOGRAPHS as I want of any of the people there: many Municipal and Shire Councils think differently.

7. “Parties” can quickly become dangerous territory, even if you are with friends. Most parties are within Private Property – I advise you remember that fact, especially if the property owner understands the laws of trespass.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 4th January 2011 at 06:49 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    5. Parents are naturally protective of their children – most of them have no idea of what laws are the laws to protect their children and also are usually just as ignorant of the laws which can find them being charged with assault.
    On the other hand - some parents are quite relaxed . . .

Getting strange looks for taking pictures.

"Honey, where did you park the Twins?"
    EOS 20D + EF70-200F/2.8L USM
    @70mm: F/3.5 @ 1/200s @ ISO3200 HH, Manual Exposure, CWA, Auto WB.

WW

Real Name
    Cindie

I had a similar situation when I decided to do my portfolio for my course about my town. I was taking pictures of our small statue and an older gentelman walked in my shot. He told me to delete the picture and if he saw it anywhere in the paper he would sue them. I was so surprised at his response. I explained that I wasn't a phtographer for the paper but a photography student. He grumbled and said to delete it anyway.
    I agree that we need to tell people why we are taking pictures and hope that are enough people who will understand so we continue to take creative photos.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Girl View Post
    I had a similar situation when I decided to do my portfolio for my course about my town. I was taking pictures of our small statue and an older gentelman walked in my shot. He told me to delete the picture and if he saw it anywhere in the paper he would sue them. I was so surprised at his response. I explained that I wasn't a phtographer for the paper but a photography student. He grumbled and said to delete it anyway.
    I agree that we need to tell people why we are taking pictures and hope that are enough people who will understand so we continue to take creative photos.
    Hi Cindie,

Did he mean delete it at that moment? I would have either walked away or told him that he ruined your shot, as your assignment was to get that particular shot at that exact time of day, and any chance of you getting a good grade.

Real Name
    Elise

I think good street photographers are either 1) very assertive or 2) very gregarious and friendly. My son is both, and he gets some great shots (he also "shoots from the hip," literally, and gets some good pics that way). I'm neither, so I stick to birds and flowers, which as a general rule, don't complain much.

The best advice I was given is: smile; be open about what you are doing; ask permission, either verbally, or by holding up the camera and making a questioning gesture. By law, in a public place these forms of politesse are not necessary. But civility is better than law for easing your way through life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123