Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Shoot - A Comparison of "Straight from the Camera" -v- "Final PPed Image"

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Portrait Shoot - A Comparison of "Straight from the Camera" -v- "Final PPed Image"

Hi Folks,

Recently we had a bit of a discussion of "how much post-processing goes into some of the shots that we see". Well today - being a rainy day - I held a bit of an impromptu portrait session for one of #2 daughter's friends - cleaned up one of the shots - printed it out 22" x 22" on canvas - and gave to the parents as a bit of a surprise.

Thought I'd show you the unprocessed shot (straight RAW conversion) - and the final shot when all finished (with the exception that the canvas edition doesn't have my custom black frame and title).

Portrait Shoot - A Comparison of "Straight from the Camera" -v- "Final PPed Image"

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Portrait Shoot - A Comparison of "Straight from the Camera" -v- "Final PPed Image

Hi Colin,

Thought I'd show you the unprocessed shot (straight RAW conversion) - and the final shot when all finished (with the exception that the canvas edition doesn't have my custom black frame and title).
    I'm confused, what I currently see is:

No.1 a picture of a canvas print - so I assume that's the final PP'd version - because why would you waste ink and canvas on an un PP'd picture. Let's call this one 'apples'.

No.2 a bordered image, which due to the border at least, and although different to No.1 (black point, etc.) therefore still looks PP'd. Let's call this one 'oranges'.

Is it possible you've posted the wrong pics here?

I'm not sure how we can compare the quality and PP enhancements between apples and oranges

Or have I missed something, should I be comparing with the picture in nSCP or the mini comp #18?

Confused (it ain't hard), Dave

Oh, nearly forgot to say it is stunning portrait none-the-less, I bet her parents were thrilled.
    Is "Jitske" her name?

Cheers,

Real Name

Re: Portrait Shoot - A Comparison of "Straight from the Camera" -v- "Final PPed Image

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Or have I missed something
    Yep - #1 is the model standing in front of the backdrop, not a "picture of a picture"

Here's one of the reject frames to give you a better idea ...

Is "Jitske" her name?
    Yes - Dutch family.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 26th October 2009 at 08:34 AM.

Real Name

Ah hah, NOW I understand!

I think this bit:
    "(with the exception that the canvas edition doesn't have my custom black frame and title)."
    which (it turns out) is completely irrelevant for us here, is what threw me. It made me think I was being shown a shot of the canvas print - Doh

Please stick to the pertinent facts in future Colin

It's still a great picture though,

Real Name

Please stick to the pertinent facts in future Colin
    ** Cough ** - I only mentioned that bit so that people wouldn't think that I had the audacity to give the parents a canvas with my name / her name / date printed on the bottom ** Cough **

PS: I don't normally hang my canvases with bulldog clips, or have large blotches on them either

It's still a great picture though
    Not bad for one of 'em 'orribly unsharp non-prime/zoom lenses eh?

Real Name
    Steve

At the bottom of each post there is a question.....Did you find this post helpful?

I think you should add a new one that asks......Did you find this post hilarious?

Real Name
    Ali

Great portrait, Colin! Lucky parents, they get a big canvas print for free? I wish someone could surprise me that way!

Question: Could you please explain where the light source(s) are, of course if it is not way above my head or too expensive.

Thanks!

I like this thread - very good concept. I'd like to see more originals vs developed photos. For newer photos, a wide-angle shot showing the lighting setup would be useful for learning too!

Great shot

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Great portrait, Colin! Lucky parents, they get a big canvas print for free? I wish someone could surprise me that way!
    Yep Since I do them all myself it doesn't cost too much (prob about $40) - less than taking them all out to the movies!

Question: Could you please explain where the light source(s) are, of course if it is not way above my head or too expensive.
    Not sure if the light sources are above your head or not ... how tall are you? (there's one for the "I found this post hillarious button!).

Seriously (for just a moment), the lighting consisted of 2 white shoot-through umbrellas on light stands pointing horizontal (like you would if the wind was blowing a strong gale). They were positioned about 4 feet from the model in the classic "45 degree off centre" configuration. Light source was 2x Canon 580EX II flashes attached to 2x Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 trancievers triggered by an on-camera Pocket Wizard Mini TT1.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    a wide-angle shot showing the lighting setup would be useful for learning too!
    But then you'd see my messy lounge! (mind you, I could always blame the kids!).

Very interesting to see the before and after. Afraid I don't like the shot though. She looks very posed with her arms like that being unsupported. It could do with more side-light, and I'd rather she was looking directly at the lens - I'm wondering what she's looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I'm wondering what she's looking at.
    Maybe she's distracted by Colin's "messy lounge"!

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

Not sure if the light sources are above your head or not ... how tall are you? (there's one for the "I found this post hillarious button!).
    Actually pretty tall, you would have to use a ladder to put them above my head! Actually, in my other life, I used work as a light stand but I guess I never paid attention

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Maybe she's distracted by Colin's "messy lounge"!
    Empty vodka bottles, ladies underwear, Porche car keys everywhere, three-week old encrusted take-away containers, discarded boys toys... Yeah, you are probably right.

Real Name

She looks very posed with her arms like that being unsupported.
    Hi Rob,

I just let her do her own thing - and she came up with a whole range of good stuff. Some of the shots where her arms weren't in front were starting to head a little too far towards "no go zones" for young kids with fairly loose tops - so this one was a lot safer than some. Sorry you don't like it - everyone involved with it loves it

It could do with more side-light, and I'd rather she was looking directly at the lens - I'm wondering what she's looking at.
    The light wraps around quite nicely - but I don't like doing asymetrical lighting with square-on frontals; I know that some do, but that's just not my style. I think that looking at the camera would have made the shot too symmetrical. She actually looked away from the camera quite a lot which I think worked well.

Real Name

Empty vodka bottles, ladies underwear, Porche car keys everywhere, three-week old encrusted take-away containers, discarded boys toys... Yeah, you are probably right.
    I'm sorry Rob but you're just making this stuff up. I can assure you that there's abolutely no Porche keys in my lounge!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I'm sorry Rob but you're just making this stuff up. I can assure you that there's abolutely no Porche keys in my lounge!
    Nope, they're hanging up on the key rack in the kitchen.

Real Name

and where are the keys for the Hornet? (mind you, I'm not sure they're called that outside the US marketplace)

and where are the keys for the Hornet? (mind you, I'm not sure they're called that outside the US marketplace)
    I think what we need here is some intimate, in-depth shots of Colin's interior (the house, that is). Do I have any supporters in this request?

Real Name

F/A-18 Hornet that I keep in my studio?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast