Thread: Sunrise, sunset

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Sunrise, sunset

These two images are pretty much of the same view, just different times of day and different treatments. I am shooting mostly east-southeast. What do you think of the composition?

In this first image, a sunrise, I was trying for something a bit high key and stark. Does it work? I wondered if I should have only 2 contrasts, not the middle grey?

Sunrise, sunset
    IMG_4803m by mariehass, on Flickr

I did a very light HDR treatment on this second, just to bring out the lovely colours in the sky. Colour seemed to work best for this sunset.

Sunrise, sunset
    _MG_4837m by mariehass, on Flickr

Please feel free to edit my images. Your comments are welcome.

Marie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sunrise, sunset

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    What do you think of the composition?
    I like it a lot. The line of the land in front of you is wonderful. Well seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    In this first image, a sunrise, I was trying for something a bit high key and stark. Does it work?
    You could have pulled in the white slider so that the sky was much whiter. I think it's around about 230 rather than a pure white at 255. However, I like it very much as it is, but then I'm a big fan of softer contrast in images

The two pictures make for a superb study in the effects of light at different times of day. It's something that, of course, people are aware of. But even amongst photographers, we don't always pay enough attention to that in terms of thinking about what the likely impact on a scene is going to be. These show that off very well.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Both nice shots Marie, the colours in the second are just beautiful. I wonder if the images are just a tad tall and whether it would be worth cropping a small amount of sky off the top of each ?

Dave

Real Name
    John

Two lovely shots that make good use of light Marie. I agree that a crop from the top would help but only in the mono shot. The clouds in the colour version fill the space in a very interesting way and I would hate to lose them. I think a little more contrast might add to the colour shot though.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you Donald for your thoughtful commentary. Our new home and surrounding land has quite the views. I really did love the shape of the land and the line of trees in that spot.

Dave, maybe a small amount of cropping. and only on the mono.

John, can you show me how much? I was trying to keep the image as natural looking as possible, but if you have other ideas? I can be persuaded.

Marie

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Marie

When I made my earlier comments, I was looking on my tablet. When I view these on a decent monitor, I can see that the colour image needs no crop ! It's already a wider aspect ratio than the mono.

The images look even better on my decent monitor by the way.

Dave