Thread: idea for a techniques project?

Real Name
    Hope

idea for a techniques project?

Does anyone here have any ideas, input, links, etc for some ideas for a photography project with the theme being learning basic techniques? I'm a complete newbie and thought a series of photos focusing on different basic techniques would be a great way to learn and not get too confused with jumping all over the place trying to learn everything in fragments. Any ideas are much appreciated! How did you guys learn? Self taught or took a class? I may take a class at some point, but right at the moment that isn't an option. Thanks!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: idea for a techniques project?

You could create your own themes based on your own misgivings of your photos and based on topics that become apparent when people critique your photos. You also might get some good ideas from this thread

Real Name
    John

My photography trek has been mostly self taught, I have taken a few classes over the years. Check the website of your camera manufacturer, they usually have specific lessons, class offerings, global treks, etc.

The contest themes on this forum are a good way to challenge yourself.

Real Name
    Shane

Hope, there are so many different aspects to learn that it can be overwhelming. I am primarily self-taught but have taken a few classes at our local university.

I think that you should simply read your manual, watch some you tube videos (a great free resource) and then take lots of pictures of what you like. Ask/remind yourself why you bought that camera in the first place and then try to make images fulfill that ideal. Then, simply post your images here for comment and suggestions for improvement on things like composition, focus and even post processing (which is a bigger part of this great hobby that most newcomers realize). If you tell people what you like and don't like about an image when you post you will likely get a very knowledgeable answers on how to address the issue(s).

I have learned a ton in the year that I have been participating in this forum and my photography has improved immensely as a result of posting here - this really is a fantastic free resource with many great people who are very generous in sharing their hard earned knowledge.

Good luck and have fun! I will look forward to seeing your images on the site and will try to help you where I feel qualified to do so.

Real Name
    Virginia

Hi, Hope -

One of the most important things I've found is to work my way through the camera manual so that I learn as much as possible about the way the camera works. Clearly, nobody has time to read the fine manual (RTFM) when they're out in the field trying to catch the sunrise over classic areas of pueblos or mountains, the really cool sand dunes like White Sands, or the caves at Carlsbad. But, working my way through the manual means that I can catch those special subjects and know reliably what I can do when I'm in that cave or walking across the White Sands. A friend of mine chooses three kinds of images to work with. Changing one thing at a time as you work through the manual is critical.

The first is what I call geometric. The area where he does that has many straight lines and a range of colors so that he can see what the effect of each camera capability is on the actual pictures, even when the most basic characteristics are altered.

The second is what I call scenic. Where he does this has lots of different kinds of scenery. We're lucky that we have mountains, flatlands, lakes, rivers, and seashore quite near my complex. But, he returns again and again to the same areas so that he understands what happens when he does this or that. Just now, he's going through a bird phase. ;~)

The third is people. He has black, Chinese, Native Americans, caucasians, older, younger, etc. people that he regularly photographs. I, in contrast, rarely take people pictures simply because of the kinds of things that interest me. One list member here asked for comments on his portfolio recently. He had two groups of photos (fashion and food) that I practically never photograph. But, technically, they were pretty good and I was way hungry after I looked at the food pictures! But, I have no personal interest in that type of photography.

I mention these points because it's important when we're learning to do what's important to us, but also important to understand the basics of the other kinds of photography.

Once you've learned about your camera's capabilities, two places to pick up "assignments" which have the effect of focusing your eye and camera on a particular type of activity are Outdoor Photographer and Shutterbug. Both are paper magazines (which I prefer since they're more portable than my computing setups). But they both have terrific websites at outdoorphotographer.com and shutterbug.com, respectively. WARNING: Don't go there if you're pressed for time! I've done that intending to look for a couple of minutes and come up for air two or three hours later because I've gotten into the galleries or reading all the articles on a particular topic.

Another source is the group of tutorials on this website which are excellent. So, for example, if you want to learn about applying a particular photographic capability to a particular subject, these are especially good.

Hope this helps.

virginia

There are two operations which really need to be mastered. Shooting with the camera and then editing, with suitable software.

I would say start by carefully reading all the CinC Tutorials.

Then, whenever possible, shoot the same scene with various options, carefully noting what you did by way of variation.

You will get a lot of rejects but that is part of the learning process to eventually recognise what might cause problems before you actually take the shot.

And editing is much the same. There are usually several methods to achieve a similar result; but some are easier or quicker. And sometimes, only the more difficult methods will produce the desired result.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Hope! So exciting to get new equipment!

I think you may have already answered your own question though.... Why don't you start a small photo project where you take a "series of photos focusing on different basic techniques"???

I tried that myself for a "Project 52" a while ago, unfortunately only ever taking 3 images to add to the project, but if you're interested in looking at it, I'm sure you can find it in the archives around here somewhere! I even gave a brief synopsis of what my goals were, and whether or not I achieved them. I think that would be a great place to start for you.

I am also self taught. With a lot of frustration, and soooo much help from the people on these forums. I really think it's the best way to go. All of the information is out there, free to access, and you have your own personal 'tutors' on here. All that being said, I'm a HUGE advocate for education, and think it's THE greatest thing we have in this short life, so I don't want to discourage you from taking a formal course, but in this digital age, when so much is available for free, why not take advantage?
    Last edited by Andrew76; 3rd December 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Hope,

I'm sure you're excited over your new camera and want to start shooting. Well, why not. Just go and shoot.

If you noticed , almost all of the advice above says go through your manual. No prob. Anyway, you can shoot while going thru your manual at the same time. Familiarity with your camera/manual will eventually pay off by making your photography more enjoyable.

Go through the many scene modes. Take a lot of shots per mode. View them on your PC, take notes. Which do you like./not like Take notes. Go and shoot again. Find out why your photos look ok and why not. Read the EXIF of your photo. ( your bundled software "ViewNX2" has a section named "Metadata" which gives info about each photo you took.) Important will be Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO sensitivity. Then , White Balance, Exposure mode. ( your manual has a section explaining how to install on your PC , View NX2.)

So review said info for each photo and take notes whether such a picture was exposed ok. under or over.
    Oh, btw, shoot in NEF/RAW mode. ( Where/how? as mentioned by all. check your manual.)

Here's a sample work flow.
    Take picture ( Program mode) - upload to PC - view with View NX2 - Review exif/settings of each photo. taking notes.
    Armed with info , go out and using Aperture mode use (f/8.), take pictures using settings which resulted in good photos, avoiding settings which resulted in over/underexposed photos. Again, review latest pics and see if your new settings worked out well. If, yes, take note and use these settings for your forthcoming shoots.

Please read the great tutorials here on CiC.
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/le...y-concepts.htm

Good luck and have fun.........................

Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 3rd December 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi hope, here is a very basic project on exposure.......................

First set the proper white balance

Next , set your camera to manual mode..............fill the entire frame with the black object (black cloth, poster board, etc).........set the exposure to '0', and take a photo.

Next, do the same thing with a pure white object , or poster board.

Next, set the black and white objects next to each other , and fill the frame with half black , and half white and take a photo.

What you will see, is the black object will look grey..........the white object will look grey............and the half black and half white object , will look black and white.

Real Name
    Andrew

A learning method that works for me may not be the best for you. The internet is full of publications that will provide you the basics and one of the biggest benefit of all that information is the many different ways it is presented. Do a search and read a few until you find one that seems to click with you. YouTube is especially good for some as it is someone talking to you with real time examples. Then do it again, and again. You'll soon find you have a very good understanding of the basics. Next step is to practice. A lot. As you encounter challenges do the research on-line or here in the forum until you get the answers you need. Then move on, keep growing.

Another suggestion is to find a local continuing education course through a local school board or photography club. Although you say it isn't an option right now it's something you really should consider looking into. Do some research on that too as I have found in my area, a $250 course doesn't get you much but a $40 one may. Another is to find a mentor. Ask your friends or family and find out if someone could assist with the basics.

For what it's worth, most people can understand the elementary effects of shutter speed and the amount of light fairly easily and fast. Depth Of Field is another matter. Get a good understanding of the relationships between the three points of the triangle first.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...beginners&sm=1

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+peterson&sm=1
    Last edited by Andrew1; 3rd December 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Stick your camera on full auto then just go out shooting anything and everything that catches your eye.

Forget about setting, forget about so called rules, forget about boring stuff like white balance, depth of field, menu's, try your very best to lose your instruction manual for a few weeks, all that will just get in the way at this point.

Just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot until you are no longer conscience of the camera being there. At that point you will start to see your subjects, see what can be achieved and see a shot before you put the camera to your eye. Pick somewhere you love and take a picture of it every time you can, try to see it if different ways, try to catch it early, late, in the sun, in the rain, when you're happy and when you're sad....every day if you can.

Just take pictures for the fun of taking pictures.

The rest - the boring stuff - can come later when you are comfortable lugging a digital camera around with you and want to twist what you see in certain ways. That is when the technical stuff becomes important.

Go and have fun.

Real Name
    Mark

I (learning a lot too) try never to take only one photograph of anything I like (that will hold still), and I try never to hurry. When I can I vary the framing by moving around (and zoom - if pertinent) which helps me think about composition, I like also to vary depth of field or to set a goal for how depth of field (deep/shallow) will add to the picture, and often experiment with exposure compensation too. For me, the idea is to see whether I can figure out how to make an image that communicates why I found a subject compelling to look at. I learn from this approach, and maybe it helps me improve. This doesn't apply to candids of people, pets and wildlife, of course.

Real Name
    Shane

Along the lines of what Mark is saying spend the hour to watch Scott Kelby's Crush the Composition video. It will make you think differently about how you shoot.