Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stereoptic Images

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Stereoptic Images

I like them although I can rarely see them. I dids see the 2nd ( swimmer and a shark) but not the first one.

Real Name
    David

Tim - Wow - very interesting. I got this one straight away, swimmer on surface, shark with long tail. My technique is the "nose on the image" one whereby with eyes open I bring my nose as close to the screen as possible, set my eyes to look in the distance and move my head out. As soon as something starts to appear I focus, probably cross-eyed, and out the image pops. Continue to move the head back and everything seems to sharpen up. All these years and I didn't know what I was missing.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Tim

Blimey! For the first time, I’ve seen the negative, or hollowed out version and now I understand what others have meant!

Every other time I’ve seen these images, I’ve seen the version that looks more like real life objects, not hollowed out moulds. Up until today I didn’t realise that there were in fact TWO ways of seeing these images; or if you like, two versions contained in the same image.

I can now switch between the two at will, depending on how I focus my eyes. Cross my eyes and the less impressive, harder to distinguish detail, hollowed out version appears. Focus my eyes on twice the distance to the screen and I get the pop out detailed positive version.

This is quite a revelation. Previously it has always puzzled me when people have said they can see the image but say it’s not at all clear. No I understand that they are seeing the hollowed out or ‘wrong’ version!

By heck, you learn something new everyday.

Real Name
    David

Tim - You've finally seen the (negative) light!

David

Real Name
    Tim

Yes! Do you see both versions?

Real Name
    David

Tim - Yes - that was the point I was trying to make. Up until this exchange, I had thought what I saw, namely the negative version, was what I was supposed to be seeing. I thus supposed otheres saw these images in that way. But, I was wrong: there are at least two ways to see them - the "correct" way and the "negative" way. I can now see the correct versions because I've worked out how to do it.

As I think I've said earlier, I haven't actually found any comments on "magic eye" sites to there being more than one way to perceive these things, but search bots being what they are, the comments here will get a wider audience in due course.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Tim

Ah, silly me… I’ve gone back to your other posts a reread them and now they make a lot more sense! Sorry David, I totally missed your point. Mind you, I guess if I hadn’t discovered the negative/positive thing for myself, I would probably have thought you were pulling my leg too; just like that shop assistant I mentioned.

What a strange turn of events!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12