Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What has gone wrong with the focus?

Real Name
    Steve

Re: What has gone wrong with the focus?

Looks like you got it right sharp and more like what it looked like. I haven't CS4 so can't do that well and I can't tell from the camera histogram where it looks blown on the right if it is actually blown until I get home. Sometimes you can just reduce ev and get definition back and it wasn't blown at all. That is why you got the wrong one because I took a lot just in case of camera shake so that I could choose the best trio, and I was looking at a different middle image where reducing ev by one stop brought back definition.

You got the best one in the end and I used GG2 filter on it. cheers

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Looks like you got it right sharp and more like what it looked like. I haven't CS4 so can't do that well and I can't tell from the camera histogram where it looks blown on the right if it is actually blown until I get home. Sometimes you can just reduce ev and get definition back and it wasn't blown at all. That is why you got the wrong one because I took a lot just in case of camera shake so that I could choose the best trio, and I was looking at a different middle image where reducing ev by one stop brought back definition.

You got the best one in the end and I used GG2 filter on it. cheers
    Hi Arith,

What software are you using?

Does the 10D have highlight alert (flashes blown areas with white pixels so you can see how much and what is blown).

Real Name
    Steve

I use cheap Helicon Filter which cost only £20 as a plug in for CS2 but they accidently gave me the full version.

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html

The 10D does have the handy flashing highlights but I always shoot RAW and since the histogram (which is only luminosity) is a graph of an image as if processed to standard settings with a strong S curve I expose to the right trying to actually get a very small area blown, unless I'm doing HDR when I just bang the needle in the middle.

If I seriously want the image I bracket anyway and don't know why I sometimes don't. Normally using partial exposure helps to blow highlights because I am getting a bit lazy and should choose something more appropriate or do it properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12