Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre focus to where action will be

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Pre focus to where action will be

The 7D has excellent auto focus. Although the 7Dii is said to be a bit better in that respect, I am certain that all the 7D cameras in the world did not abruptly stop auto-focusing when the 7Dii was introduced

One way I like to set up my camera for sports is spot AF with expanded AF point selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYWQ3NUuMk

I like to select a spot at the top of my frame. That way, the head and face of my subject will be in focus. You can set up the 7D so that when you switch from horizontal format to vertical format, the selection point changes so that it is still among the top points. Thus the heads will be the primary focusing area in both vertical and horizontal holds.

The auto focus on the 7D can be modified in so many ways that it can become confusing. However one of the great plus factors on the 7D (as well as some other Canikon cameras) is the three user setting capability. You can set up your camera's parameters record them and them select the set of parameters by switching your mode dial to C-1, C-2 or C-2.

I would suggest that you do a YouTube search using parameters like: "Canon 7D Auto Focus" and "Shooting sports with Canon 7D"

I suspect that one problem with many 7D photographers is that they are not using lenses that are optimum for sports or fast action photography. The long focal range zoom lenses (such as the 18-200mm and/or 18-135mm) are not really the ticket for sports photography. Your 85mm f/1.8 should be quite decent.

If I wanted to set up for outdoor sports I would look into getting one of the 70-200mm f/2.8 (series) lenses and pairing that with a 300mm f/4L IS lens. Of course, the faster, f/2.8, 300mm or 400mm primes would be ideal but the cost and the weight are prohibitive for most folks.

I use a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens because I can afford it, it is light weight, the f/4 gives me decent selective focus and because I use this lens for many other venues.

This might be overkill for many hobby shooters but, IMO, shooting with a pair of bodies is a great way to photograph action. I can do pretty well with my 40-200mm f/4L IS and my 300mm f/4L IS lenses on a pair of 7D bodies. I was lucky to get the second 7D refurbished and on-sale. Having two identical bodies is a luxury. Most of my photo career, I have shot with a pair of similar but, not identical bodies. Usually one of two generations apart. For a while I shot with a 30D and a 40D, then graduated to a 7D + 40D and I am now shooting with a pair of 7D cameras.

I really like the book, "David Busch's Compact Field Guide For the Canon EOS 7D" it is like an enlarged user manual but, is not too large to take with me on trips.

BTW: I really shouldn't have to mention this but, I have seen people attempt to shoot sports using Live-View with DSLR cameras. I would always use eye-level through the lens viewing when shooting any type of action.

Finally... I have shot auto racing and hydroplane races using my 400mm f/5.6L lens. However, I have never used this for field sports but, it just might work. OTOH: a 640mm equivalent FOV would be pretty difficult with which to shoot... It would be good if shooting from the stands; if they allowed you in with that big lens on your camera. OTOH, I never shoot sports from the stands, instead I just watch the game unless I have sideline access...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th November 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12