Thread: Lochan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lochan

Now, as many of you know, in Scotland we don't have lakes. We have lochs. And what would you call a very small loch? Well, what else but 'Lochan'. That explains the title.

This is one of my set from a recent holiday/vacation in the north-west highlands of Scotland; in an area called Assynt. My purpose was to convey the rugged hardness of the landscape.

Comment and critique is always welcomed. If you wish to look, my gallery from my week in Assynt can be seen here.

Wasn't quite at the 'kneel-down-in-the-water' stage, but certainly got my feet wet.

Lochan
    40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 30mm. ISO400. 1/60s@f22
    Last edited by Donald; 14th October 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Lochan

Nicely captured and a very nice series.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Great sense of depth, Donald. I would love to see just a bit more definition in the sky and its reflection in the Lochan.

Real Name
    Greg

Donald, I like this composition but I think it is a little soft. Given that your intention is to portray the ruggedness of the area, I think a dose of sharpness - particularly in the foreground rocks - would bring that feeling out more. In the same vein, I wonder if a bit more contrast in the distant mountains would reveal more of the exposed rocks there?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks for looking and commenting. Will go away, apply your thoughts and see what comes out.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th October 2014 at 03:41 PM.

Focus looks OK to me, particularly at full screen size.

I find it is always difficult to get rounded, and well worn, objects to appear strikingly sharp; and there is a risk that over sharpening will look unnatural.

Real Name
    Grahame

Very nice Donald, it compliments the others in the series very well.

Real Name
    Dave

I like this composition but I think it is a little soft
    Interesting, because it has much more structure than many of your images. I really like high structure monochrome, but in this case I would prefer to see the image cropped from the bottom, because the rocks seem to dominate too much.

I always feel a bit naive commenting on your images

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like this a lot as is. Interestingly, it conveys a sense of serenity to me rather than rugged hardness; everything is in the eye of the beholder.

You might want to add more structure (micro contrast) in the foreground rocks if you want to increase their texture. Even so, they look fine to me as is.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like this a lot as is. Interestingly, it conveys a sense of serenity to me rather than rugged hardness; everything is in the eye of the beholder.
    I do get what you mean, Mike. Despite the hardness of the landscape it was a very peaceful and calm place. However, on a day when there's a storm going and the rain would be travelling horizontally, it would be a different matter .... but even more dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You might want to add more structure (micro contrast) in the foreground rocks if you want to increase their texture. Even so, they look fine to me as is.
    I note what folks have said. However, when I put in more structure (micro contrast/local contrast enhancement), those rocks started to look a bit crunchy. Something like the field in this one (on which you commented, Mike) where the speckled highlights were distracting attention.
    Last edited by Donald; 16th October 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I note what folks have said. However, when I put in more structure (micro contrast/local contrast enhancement), those rocks started to look a bit crunchy.
    Did you try a High Pass filter, Donald? About 0.5-1.00 pixel looks ok to me.

Real Name
    Ole

I like the composition, I think that the rocks in the upper left and also in the foreground could be softened a little. something like the distant mountains perhaps.

Real Name
    Matt

Really nice shot, the only thing that lets it down for me is the sky... more definition needed as someone else has said. Maybe a bit of a crop?