Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May the Force be with you!

Real Name
    Peter

May the Force be with you!

I took a little tour around Teesdale the day before yesterday and thought you may like to jump on the bus and take the tour. Probably best viewed using the Lytebox. As always your thoughts/comments are welcome.

#1 Summerhill Force version one

#2 Summerhill Force version two (just for those for whom milky water is Marmite)

#3 Low Force

#4 High Force, sadly by the time I had walked up to High Force the sun was moving West and I had missed it lighting up the drop of the main waterfall.

Real Name
    John

Re: May the Force be with you!

Nice captures, the effect really works in the first, the others are nice as well but the first is a bit warmer.

Real Name
    Mark

I like 1 & 3 personally, because i love smooth water.... others of course wont like it a t all! Im not keep on the shooting angle of number 4 so i guess i like the lower perspective of the others. all great stuff though, well done.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Terrific series, Peter!

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hello Peter: I also prefer the silky water of Number 1. It has a nice fairytale quality to it. I almost expect to see an elf behind one of the trees. The last shot appears a little odd to me as it seems split between a blue and yellow white balance. All in all, very nice takes of a beautiful location.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Lovely scenes and great composition Peter!

I'm one of 'those' that is not fond of the plastic look of the water in shot #1. I'm fine with the fast running water having streaks but the flat water is strangely impressionistic and just doesn't seem to fit with the natural look of the rest of the scene. Perhaps it is because I've never seen water look that way so it just doesn't look realistic to me.

The last one is quite interesting. The dark black half way down the falls gives the impression that the water level could be quite high below the falls at some point in time. Do you know if the pool below the falls could be quite a bit deeper?

I do like the fact that your copyright is subtle and has minimal interference with the enjoyment of the image.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

#2 and 4 are my favorite. I agree with Frank about #1. I don't like the 'milky' look of waterfalls or in seascapes. But that's just me.
    This is really a nice series.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like both #1 and #2 because I both like milky water and real looking water. Very nice shots. IMO #3 might improve with some more PP, it is an image full of lovely colors

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you very much for including #2 for people like me. It's my favorite. I also like the composition of that scene more than the last two. But all very nice.

So I had to look up what you meant by Marmite and found this on Wikipedia: "Love it or hate it." The product's name has entered British English as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinions. (link included for any other clueless non-Europeans )

I'd say this is a very appropriate use for that term!

Real Name
    Gerry

Nice series Peter, me, I love Marmite, and I love the sound of water, lovely capture of the autumnal colours.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very nice...especially when you drag the shutter.

Real Name
    Matt

All great shots Peter, #1 is my favourite!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice set Peter, I like #1 and #2 each in their own way although I prefer the toning in #1.

Dave

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Lovely scenes and great composition Peter!

I'm one of 'those' that is not fond of the plastic look of the water in shot #1. I'm fine with the fast running water having streaks but the flat water is strangely impressionistic and just doesn't seem to fit with the natural look of the rest of the scene. Perhaps it is because I've never seen water look that way so it just doesn't look realistic to me.

The last one is quite interesting. The dark black half way down the falls gives the impression that the water level could be quite high below the falls at some point in time. Do you know if the pool below the falls could be quite a bit deeper?

I do like the fact that your copyright is subtle and has minimal interference with the enjoyment of the image.
    Frank thanks for taking time to look and comment on this set of images, much appreciated. WRT the pool below the falls I don't think it gets much deeper that you see in the image but...following heavy rain or snow melt (not that we have seen lots of snow recently) you will see the two little trickles to the left and right of the main falls with a greater volume of water cascading over them. The dark colour that you see is I think caused by the splash back from the main falls. I'm glad you like the bus tour if not the milky water as I said it's a Marmite thing check the second paragraph in this LINK

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks to you all for taking time to look, comment and offer suggestions on this set of images, much appreciated.

Next weeks bus trip (weather permitting) could be to Cauldron Force which is on a different river and in another Dale, tickets for the bus trip are available

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am a bit late to this party but yes...I want to go on more bus tour of photographs...

Anyway, I am like Travis and Frank...I love #2 and 4 for the same reason that Frank gave.

Regarding Marmite, we have a few of that on the shelves in Oz but Vegemite is what I have in my pantry over there -- I use it in lieu of salt or seasoning in my stew, not on a samwich.

Real Name
    Peter

Better late than never Izzie thanks for stopping by

Real Name
    Grahame

Very nice series Peter. I'm easy going with running water and find No 1 has the most appeal here as I like the way its smoothness compliments the sharp rocks.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I do not mind milky water but not so sure about marmite. With the long exposure the dark water does not look that appealing to me. Lovely location and as you have now probably guessed #2 is my pick.

Real Name
    Kay

The absolute winner for me is #3 with the gorgeous colours and tone of the whole image, beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast