Thread: A Sea Anemone

Real Name
    John

A Sea Anemone

As my first thread, here is a photo of a Sea Anemone I took about forty years ago. I think that it is of the Wartlet Anemone, Bunodactis verrucosa. The body is about 1.5cm across, and the tentacles spread about 3cm.

A Sea Anemone

Comment or Criticism welcome.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: A Sea Anemone

Hi John,

Welcome!

I don't have the experience to critique such an image which I imagine was photographed with a film camera through glass?

I can say that I like the image for the beautiful soft light and blue colours and a lovely capture of the anemone's beauty. Beautiful detail! 1.5 cm across is very tiny - without a macro lens? - so a very special capture!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Welcome John -- do you still have that camera you use for this shot? Just curious....

Real Name
    John

Hello John and welcome. This is almost a toned mono. Is that how it was?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

John as it was taken under water and may even have faded a bit you may get a more vibrant colour by using Auto Colour and Auto Tone corrections available on some editing software or by adjusting levels on individual RGB channels. Below is it quickly adjusted version done in Photoshop using just Auto Colour and Auto Tone and a bit of sharpening. There are lots of different options and ways of making adjustments. It will depend on the software you have available and your preferences as to the best method that suits you. If you do not want the edit displayed let me know and I will remove it.

Was it scanned from a slide/transparency or a print?

A Sea Anemone

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the comments and questions.

This was scanned from a transparency. At the time I did not have much experience in post-processing. I now have rather more, as well as a range of Photoshop add-ons. Obviously after forty-odd years, I cannot remember exactly what the animal looked like, but your edit does preserve the pinkish-purple body nicely as well as enhancing the rest.

The animal was found in South Devon, either in Plymouth Sound or on Wembury beach nearby. (I did not have a GPS on my camera in those days.) The camera was a Yashica SLR with standard lens plus extension tubes. I don't have these any more!