Thread: Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest Monastery) - Paro, Bhutan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest Monastery) - Paro, Bhutan

A couple of additional shots of the famous 17th Century (1692) Tiger's Nest Monastery, near Paro, Bhutan. The monastery was badly damaged by fire in 1998 and was restored by 2005. Like many religious and cultural buildings in Bhutan, photography is prohibited inside the building, so I have exterior shots only.

The monastery sits at an altitude of over 3100m / 10,200ft, a climb of 900m / 3,000 ft over a distance of around 2km / 1.25 miles. We did the climb on our first day in Bhutan, so we had not had a chance to adjust to the altitude. It was quite a slippery and difficult climb up muddy the trails. The trails are also used by some fairly messy (not toilet trained) horses, used to carry tourists partially up the hill to the "teahouse", about half-way to the monastery.

I had previously posted an image taken from lower down through some clouds. The link to that posting is: Tiger's Nest Monastery - Bhutan
    Last edited by Manfred M; 27th November 2014 at 02:35 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest Monastery) - Paro, Bhutan

I remember very well your first image of the monastery that has the interesting low-lying clouds. These are nice also in a very different way.

Your narratives are always so informative, so keep them up. The details of the climb sound arduous to me, more than twice as much height per mile than my wife and I prefer to climb. Add the mud, the altitude and the lack of time to adjust to it and I realize how determined you and your wife were to do the hike. Your efforts were certainly well rewarded.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 27th November 2014 at 03:21 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

I have been watching some documentaries on TV about Bhutan recently and I saw that difficult climbing for 900 mt already. You and your wife must be really fit for that BTW those images are as nice as your first one.

Real Name
    John

Very nice compositions.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Manfred, I am envious of your adventurous travels...you are taking the roads less traveled and
    coughing out some seriously nice pictures that I do enjoy seeing. Please keep them coming.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I have been watching some documentaries on TV about Bhutan recently and I saw that difficult climbing for 900 mt already. You and your wife must be really fit for that BTW those images are as nice as your first one.
    Honestly, we did not feel at all fit after we got back. All of our leg muscles were sore for a couple of days and we had done some preparation at home (biking and hiking) to get ready for the trip. One can't prepare for being at altitude, other than getting there and acclimatizing.

Interestingly, the two weeks in Bhutan seemed to be a fairly good preparation for our trekking in Nepal. Our trek took us to similar (slightly higher) altitudes and the ascent rates were even higher. While it was probably the most physically challanging thing I have ever done, the trek covered 72km rather than the 4km to the Tiger's Nest Monastery and back.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Manfred, I am envious of your adventurous travels...you are taking the roads less traveled and
    coughing out some seriously nice pictures that I do enjoy seeing. Please keep them coming.
    Thanks - I wouldn't say it was a relaxing trip, but it was certainly one that was full of challanges (physical and mental).

I'm somewhat surprised that I got as many decent pictures as I did get; my little mirrorless Panasonic is simply no match for my Nikon in any way other than size and weight. When one is living out of a 50 litre backpack for two months, size and weight are important considerations...

That being said, I hope to continue these types of trips now that I am able. The one thing that gave me almost no problems was my repaired foot. It is the best it has been in at least 25 years. I really don't miss having to walk with a cane, so I intend to enjoy these types of challanges as long as I can.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I hope to continue these types of trips now that I am able.
    My wife and I can relate to that. We keep putting off many of the really easy, traditional places to visit knowing that we can probably see them if we develop back issues and the like. Instead, we tend to use major vacation time for trips that have greater physical requirements, such as our recent trip to hike the mountains of Norway's Lofoten islands.

Though I had no specific ailment such as your foot, I spent more than a decade being so seriously overweight that it dramatically limited my capabilities. I still remember the hike we had planned to take in Kaui that we couldn't do because I was in such poor shape that it wouldn't have been enjoyable. I hated that I was holding my wife back. That hike today would be a piece of cake for both of us. Beginning in 2000, I changed my life style with regard to eating and exercise and I've never looked back (except to see incredible wilderness views that can't be seen from a car).

Real Name
    Richard

Manfred,
    Breathtaking, National Geographic class images!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Manfred I too remember your previous image very well as it was a stunning shot. These a very good too, albeit a little less dramatic. But they have excellent detail. What an impressive structure.

Dave

Real Name
    Pania

Thank you Manfred for the beautiful images & congrats Mike for the great lifestyle changes & example.

Real Name
    Raj

Brilliant shots. I really like the first one.