Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In the shelter of the Banyans

Real Name
    Shane

In the shelter of the Banyans

Banyan trees are plentiful in the parks and forests of Hawaii and their roots grow downwards to surround the base of a host tree. My husband tells me that before the roots hit the ground they make great ropes that as kids they used to swing on for fun.

I captured a collection of these roots in a local park and was drawn to the scene by the pool of light at the base. I have created two different crops of the same scene and would like to get your preference.

Please forgive me the small white line at the top of this one which is due to my altering the crop poorly...

More of a panoramic version:

The image was taken in harsh light and both have a fairly heavy vignette applied.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: In the shelter of the Banyans

Very nice, Shane! Great eye to spot that patch of light on the ground.

I prefer the second composition. That's because the part that it eliminates from the first version doesn't provide any helpful information and because the second version helps me "see" the light on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    The image was taken in harsh light and both have a fairly heavy vignette applied.
    The light may have been generally harsh in the wider area beyond the scene you photographed but it's rather diffuse in the scene, probably because of the light rays being reflected in every imaginable direction by the leaves above you. I wouldn't have known you applied a vignette, which is one of my highest forms of flattery.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like both of them, very interesting trees

Real Name
    John

Differences between the two is very slight so no particular preference, both work for me. Nicely captured and processed.

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you Mike, Binnur and John.

I too favor the crop for a couple of additional reasons Mike. I like the way the upper curved branch has more prominence in the crop and that it mirrors the shape of the light area on the ground I think that the crossed branches also hold the eye in the frame.

As far as the vignette, thank you Mike! It is another factor that holds the eye in the frame. The sides were very bright without it and as a result the image lacked depth.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    I think that the crossed branches also hold the eye in the frame.
    Absolutely! I only alluded to that without explicitly mentioning it when I explained that the second version draws my attention to the patch of light on the ground.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

They are impressive trees Shane, we saw then when we visited Hawaii in 2010. I think you've captured them very well here and the B&W treatment is spot on IMO. I don't have a particular preference but possibly favour the first.

Dave

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like them both, Shane...interesting tree to capture. The translation to B/W is superb.