Fort NiagaraDSC_9753 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

Real Name
    John

Re: Fort Niagara

Nicely done, very crisp colors.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A very pleasing image taken from the Canadian side of the Niagara River. Thank you for posting this Janis. I prompted me to look up the fort's history which I found quite interesting.

Real Name
    Nick

Very nice. I second John's comment. I like the characteristic look of a sunny day on the great lakes captured in this picture.
    I couldn't help noticing not the ideal sides of some of the buildings were getting direct sun light here, but it was probably not likely that you would want to wait till the sun came from another direction while touring.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, John.

Frank, I'm glad you were inspired to look up the history! The stories of the battles in and around the war of 1812 are fascinating, worth a CBC or HBO mini-series, I think. I didn't cross the border, but I spent a wonderful afternoon at Fort George (of which a few images to come eventually), which was reduced to a smoking ruin by a barrage of red-hot cannon fired by your side, but whose avengers later took Fort Niagara in a thrilling display of guts and guile, aided perhaps by spirits of the alcoholic kind.

Nick, as it turns out, I just had to walk a little further. These were taken just minutes later.

Fort NiagaraDSC_9764 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

Fort NiagaraDSC_9768 - Version 2 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

Fort NiagaraDSC_9774 - Version 2 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I think that # 3 holds the most interest. The park bench would look even better if you had a young couple sitting close and admiring the view.

Real Name
    Nick

The sunlight is coming from a much preferable direction in the latter ones, though perhaps at the expense of some of the richness of the blue in the water. I think the last (#3) has the best combination of both. Is that white building a replica of a historic one?

Real Name
    Janis

The park bench would look even better if you had a young couple sitting close and admiring the view.
    Tsk, tsk, Frank. Not only are you being ageist, but you have entirely overlooked the implied suggestion of a couple, the very descendants of the soldiers who once exchanged fire across this river. How could you miss it? You must be overworked.

perhaps at the expense of some of the richness of the blue in the water.
    Nick: I might be able to do something about that, if I understood colour better.

Is that white building a replica of a historic one?
    I have no idea, as Fort Niagara is in the U.S. and we didn't venture across the border. I did visit Fort George, though, which is the fort the British built to defend its territory and which is located a wee bit upriver from Fort Niagara.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Janis I had to stop too to look at a bit of history of the place from google. Interesting read actually. And I like #3 too like Frank but unlike his thoughts of a couple sitting down, I imagined just thinking of a someone sitting down there and admiring the view and thinking of how many fights and battles had gone through fortifying that area. Your shots are very nice and sharp and colourful. I was more of looking at the clouds here. I suspect Shane will be very jealous of them...particularly in shot #2...like a painting at the top. In #1, how many frames did it take you? I was thinking of it in panorama style...or is it not?

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I imagined just thinking of a someone sitting down there and admiring the view and thinking of how many fights and battles had gone through fortifying that area.
    There you go! That someone could be a history lover like Frank or you or me! Thank you, Izzie. I quite like an empty bench for all the different people it can contain (or not contain) in different people's imagination.

In #1, how many frames did it take you? I was thinking of it in panorama style...or is it not?
    No, just a crop of a standard 2 x 3. I had elected to wander about town without my tripod, as I was mainly focused on just getting reacquainted with my camera, and more familiar with my rather newish 70-200 mm lens.

Thanks for your kind comments, Izzie.

Real Name
    Zen

Although I am Life Member of the Old Fort Niagara Association, and have visited the Fort many times, I've seen it from the Canadian side only rarely. This is a very nice shot. Thanks for sharing.

Don't know what you all discovered historically, but are you aware that the Fort was garrisoned during WWII? They had a POW camp there and held German Army prisoners, who worked in the village on village projects. My uncle, a POW Guard, was stationed there for a short period before going overseas to France and Germany.

For those in the area, the summer programs are dynamite, especially the re-enactments of F&I and War of 1812 battles.

Again, thanks for sharing your images.

Zen

Real Name
    Kim

Love #3!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Tsk, tsk, Frank. Not only are you being ageist, but you have entirely overlooked the implied suggestion of a couple, the very descendants of the soldiers who once exchanged fire across this river. How could you miss it? You must be overworked.
    Perhaps there are the ghosts of soldiers past sitting there?

Real Name
    Janis

Perhaps there are the ghosts of soldiers past sitting there?
    Oh, even better! Perhaps lovers, the one an American soldier, and the other, a British soldier's wife he met in the woods one day. I think the mini-series is getting a re-write!

For those in the area, the summer programs are dynamite, especially the re-enactments of F&I and War of 1812 battles.
    Zen, thanks for sharing. Next time I am in the area, I will make a point of going. Among other things, it will be interesting to compare the two histories.

Thanks for your comment, Kim!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Perhaps lovers, the one an American soldier, and the other, a British soldier's wife he met in the woods one day.!
    Tsk, tsk! Can't be havin' that y'know. Fraternising with the locals. Just not on.

Real Name
    Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    The sunlight is coming from a much preferable direction in the latter ones, though perhaps at the expense of some of the richness of the blue in the water. I think the last (#3) has the best combination of both. Is that white building a replica of a historic one?
    The white building is part of an active US Coast Guard station. Don't know it's age, but guess it's from the 1940's era. Currently in use and quite active, especially during the summer sailing season.

Zen

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    The white building is part of an active US Coast Guard station.
    Oh, Zen, does that explain the tower, then? The one with the garish green sign on it? Very annoying, that. It was a major distraction in the first photo. I tried to obliterate the sign, but didn't do a very good job; you can still see a halo of the original colour and I'm surprised nobody called me on it.

By the way, did any of those German prisoners who worked in the village return after the war?

Real Name
    Zen

That is a radio tower for CG's exclusive use. You may notice another shorter/smaller tower to the lake side that holds a video camera, which is monitored 24/7. The station covers the US part of the western half of the lake as well as the lower Niagara River. Three men crossed the river illegally just the other day under the guise of being fishermen, coming from Canada down river, then landing on the New York shore east of the Fort complex. They disappeared into the farm/orchard country of upper Western NY and are now being sought as illegals.

Don't know if any of the POW's returned, altho it is said that some stayed when they were released after the war. The old-timer townspeople recall the prisoners being generally cordial and productive in tasks assigned to them.

z

Oh, Zen, does that explain the tower, then? The one with the garish green sign on it? Very annoying, that. It was a major distraction in the first photo. I tried to obliterate the sign, but didn't do a very good job; you can still see a halo of the original colour and I'm surprised nobody called me on it.

By the way, did any of those German prisoners who worked in the village return after the war?