Thread: haunted

Real Name
    beth

haunted

the place from which nightmares are born.
    haunted

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: haunted

Beth, I really like your subject but, your capture of it is rather stark and clinical.
    Should you have the desire to make a spectacular image of that subject, try light-painting at night.
    See here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqvhNOZaEU

Real Name
    John

Nice concept, perhaps a bit of fog is needed to add to the imagery.

Real Name
    beth

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Beth, I really like your subject but, your capture of it is rather stark and clinical.
    Should you have the desire to make a spectacular image of that subject, try light-painting at night.
    See here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqvhNOZaEU
    thanks. i've done lightpainting. and was nearly eaten by wolves as a result, but that's another story. as for this image, it would have been very difficult to do indeed as a drunken college kid on a school trip in ireland with no means of transportation other than the tour bus that drove many hours to get there from the hotel we stayed the previous night and many hours to the hotel we were staying at that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice concept, perhaps a bit of fog is needed to add to the imagery.
    thanks, but again, i had no way of sticking around to wait for the right conditions. i knew what look i wanted though, so i toned it and added some grain in lightroom while i was editing and quite liked the darker, cooler tones that turned up.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the backgrounder on the image. I'm a bit surprised that the "drunken college kid" seems to have done a fairly decent job compositionally and technically (in focus, no motion blur and the horizon line is reasonably level). Your issues regarding the ability to shoot the place the way you would have preferred happens all too frequently in travel photography, and I wonder how the house owners would take to someone lightpainting the place anyways?

I wonder if the issue is that the tonality of the image is backwards; for that eerie look. In a haunted house images tend to have dark houses and even darker skies; yet while the sky is menacing, it is brighter than the house. Flipping that around in post might give you more the look you are after. Fog, would have been nice; but certainly too much to ask for on a bus tour...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I have an idea for this clinical shot, Beth -- do a composite and include a light or spotlight..I think it was Graham who led me to the tutorial of this Jimmy McIntyre guy in:
    http://www.throughstrangelenses.com/

I saw an example in one of the pages of his Shutter Evolve...here it is:
    http://www.shutterevolve.com/create-...ing-photoshop/

Real Name
    beth

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks for the backgrounder on the image. I'm a bit surprised that the "drunken college kid" seems to have done a fairly decent job compositionally and technically (in focus, no motion blur and the horizon line is reasonably level). Your issues regarding the ability to shoot the place the way you would have preferred happens all too frequently in travel photography, and I wonder how the house owners would take to someone lightpainting the place anyways?

I wonder if the issue is that the tonality of the image is backwards; for that eerie look. In a haunted house images tend to have dark houses and even darker skies; yet while the sky is menacing, it is brighter than the house. Flipping that around in post might give you more the look you are after. Fog, would have been nice; but certainly too much to ask for on a bus tour...
    it was the second day of the pubs and pints tour. we were slightly sloshed, but not quite drunk yet... the next day we made it to dublin and the photography was pretty much over for the trip. so this is one of my favorite shots of the trip. i probably should have mentioned this was from 2006. i believe i did darken the sky quite a bit to get this, but when i go darker it looks unnatural to me with the light on the building and reflections in the windows.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by cuilin View Post
    it was the second day of the pubs and pints tour. we were slightly sloshed, but not quite drunk yet... the next day we made it to dublin and the photography was pretty much over for the trip. so this is one of my favorite shots of the trip. i probably should have mentioned this was from 2006. i believe i did darken the sky quite a bit to get this, but when i go darker it looks unnatural to me with the light on the building and reflections in the windows.
    Try Googling "Day to Night". There are a number of PP techniques that do work.. I've played with this in the past, but haven't really tried it recently