Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clouds, mountains and ice...for C&C of course..

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Clouds, mountains and ice...for C&C of course..

On my way back to Missouri, I was sitting first class at bulk head that had a lot room for my leg...so I decided that while the stewardesses eyes were somewhere else, I will position my light carry on underneath my leg and cover my leg with a blanket. I took my camera out and did several shots from North California to Colorado.

1. Clouds

2. And this one reminds me of tiger markings when I saw the formation of the shadows...a little bit noisy at the top so I suppose I should crop that off (later.)

3. And this one I find fascinating...

I have more shots where it came from but three is enough for this week.

Thank you all for looking...
    Izzie
    Last edited by IzzieK; 10th March 2015 at 07:51 AM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Clouds, mountains and ice...for C&C of course..

Hi Isabel. Those are very nice images and I think they deserve some PP work. They all have blue color casts I think it is because they are sky shots. You can fix it easily with the color balance function in PS according to your taste (I think you have PS). They all need some sharpening and noise reduction. I think it is because you shot them behind a window on the plane and an easy problem to fix with PP I would also add a little contrast and may be would do some highlight correction.

You did a very good job by taking those shots. I like them all

Real Name
    Grahame

Well done Izzie

You were lucky to get these out of the window, but perhaps luckier not to get caught by the stewardess but then again what's wrong with taking pictures?

No1 is my fave and as Binnur has mentioned all candidates for some PP. I'm going to have a go at No 1 myself

Grahame

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Dan

Not bad shot through plexiglass, lzzie. I like the first best followed by no.3. Particularly on the first shot Binnur's advice on removing the blue cast is sound. Some will argue the haze is realistic but I'm not a fan of that camp.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

What a fascinating blue world..... i liked them all and if to choose one, i liked second the best

Real Name
    Sherwood Lincoln

Cool shots, but like the previous ones said seems cold!

Real Name
    Matt

Nice shots Izzie, number 1 is my favourite. I would like to see the blue cast removed.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    What a fascinating blue world..... i liked them all and if to choose one, i liked second the best
    Nandakumar, that is my favourite also. It was much better looking from the plane than my shot, that much I can tell you. I don't think I did good justice to it...Thank you for looking and commenting...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Isabel. Those are very nice images and I think they deserve some PP work. They all have blue color casts I think it is because they are sky shots. You can fix it easily with the color balance function in PS according to your taste (I think you have PS). They all need some sharpening and noise reduction. I think it is because you shot them behind a window on the plane and an easy problem to fix with PP I would also add a little contrast and may be would do some highlight correction.

You did a very good job by taking those shots. I like them all
    Thank you, Binnur and Geoff. Here are my edits...I think I overdid this one though...it doesn't even resembled what I really saw anymore...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Not bad shot through plexiglass, lzzie. I like the first best followed by no.3. Particularly on the first shot Binnur's advice on removing the blue cast is sound. Some will argue the haze is realistic but I'm not a fan of that camp.
    I agree with you, Dan...the haze was really there...half of the top is actually cold. The whole atmosphere down there was cold only to be punctuated by the morning sunrise from the east. I feel that the original shot is more accurate. I was fascinated by the cloud cover in the first place...

Thank you for your feedback. I truly appreciate it very much.

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks John, Sherwood and Matt. It was really looking cold down there compared to the temperature inside the plane and where I was in Oz. Made me shiver, especially passing by Colorado. I wasn't sure why I chose to go home at that time. But it is OK lately here...the weather sort of improved a lot more than when I was away and just missed the snow falls for 3 days with threats of 12' (didn't happen!! according to my neighbour) they got 3" and more threats of a weeklong snow. ha!

Thank you for looking and commenting. I appreciate it very much...

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Isabel. The second image of your re-edits looks better . There is still a blue color cast , but if this is what you saw when you took the photo and if you want to keep it as is, it is your image and you should keep it as is I would remove the lens vignette though, it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Thank you, Binnur and Geoff. Here are my edits...I think I overdid this one though...it doesn't even resembled what I really saw anymore..

Real Name
    Izzie

I tried removing the colour cast in Perfect Suite and then in Photoshop but I think I cannot remove any more...there must be other ways to do it. I tried the adjustment brush too and the Colour Correction. I had spent so much time editing that #1 image and I still cannot do it.

Thank you very much for your follow-up comment. I really do appreciate it very much.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Isabel. If you reduce the yellow-blue slider towards yellow (about -20)and if you increase the cyan-red slider towards red (about +20) in 'Color Balance Adjustment Layer' in photoshop it is possible to remove the color cast. You can also add a warming photo filter with 'Photo Filters Adjustment Layer'.But I have to tell you that if you push too much than the scene loses its meaning because those were exraordinarily shot through the high clouds. You might as well give it a try , but if you are still fond of the bluish one, just leave it as is and enjoy it

P.S. 1- I'm uploading and edit just to give you an idea, if you don't like it please let me know I will remove it.

P.S. 2- I uploaded a wrond edit and corrected it later. The last one is as below.

P.S. 3- I left some of the color cast in the clouds at the top part of the frame because that color reminds me the color in high skies ( First I tried removing the whole color cast but IMO the scene lost its meaning, so put some of it back) . I also removed the lens vignette some more, there is still some but you can fix it with your original file better than I did anyway

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I tried removing the colour cast in Perfect Suite and then in Photoshop but I think I cannot remove any more...there must be other ways to do it. I tried the adjustment brush too and the Colour Correction. I had spent so much time editing that #1 image and I still cannot do it.

Thank you very much for your follow-up comment. I really do appreciate it very much.
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 11th March 2015 at 08:42 AM.

Izzie, your photos are the reason that I insist on a window seat whenever I fly, to see some of the most amazing vistas ever. I'm sure you can fiddle around with your images but in the end, I don't think a photo ever really captures what we see through the window.

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Izzie. I like them all. I agree with what Binnur said about editing them but you don't want to over do it either. Less is more as they say.

Real Name
    Izzie

Thank you for the feedback, Chris and Jack. I do really appreciate your comments. It makes me feel special when I get good and/or bad feedback. It helps me improve my shots and think more of why I hold my camera that way or that way. I did 76 shots of these clouds and mountains and ice, some with windows and some without...and I wonder sometimes why I feel the bump on my lens.

Yes Jack...first class is no big deal for me and hubby on domestic flights as we only pay $12 for the seat and because we travel "on vacation" pass, it depends if we get the seat on first class or cattle zone. For cattle seats, we do not have to pay at all. One of the perks of being an employee of the airlines. But on international, on a paid ticket, we pay insurance and and extra $5 for the privilege of seating with the window.

Real Name
    Izzie

Dear Binnur...

Thank you so much for your help...I had been doing the exercise on your advise and I got it...No please do not remove your edit. It will always remind me of my sometimes inability to follow instructions at times... I love your edit. and thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it very much.

Real Name
    mark

I have never tried to shoot through an airplane window. I did notice most have a funky reddish blue tint though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast