Thread: Urban Landscape - Ottawa Canada

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Urban Landscape - Ottawa Canada

I was out trying to get a very specific shot this morning, but couldn't because some construction blocked me from getting to the point I wanted to shoot from. Being downtown before 7:00 in the morning on a Sunday means there are very few people around, so I took advantage of the light and the lack of traffic to do some other shooting.

This is a shot of downtown Ottawa, taken from the Canadian War Memorial; but not the usual view. The tomb of the Unknown Soldier is at the bottom right of the image and the area leading up to the memorial is to the left. The rest shows some of the buildings in the downtown area. This is not the usual view one gets in images of the area.

Urban Landscape - Ottawa Canada

Re: Urban Landscape - Ottawa Canada

5 minutes to 7 in the morning, you were up early. Nice perspective, I never would have thought downtown could look so deserted.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very nicely done

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the shooting angle, very nice image full of geometrical shapes as you like

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

+1 to Binnur's comments.

Real Name
    John

Nice comp and nice light Manfred. I have to echo the comment about the lack of traffic in a major city even that early on a Sunday morning. Amazing.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

A nice crisp and fresh looking shot Manfred (probably like the weather !). I like the composition with all those diagonals and the light is nice and soft.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Nice composition.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    5 minutes to 7 in the morning, you were up early. Nice perspective, I never would have thought downtown could look so deserted.
    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Nice comp and nice light Manfred. I have to echo the comment about the lack of traffic in a major city even that early on a Sunday morning. Amazing.

The National Capital Region has a population of about 1.2 million, so it's the fourth largest urban area in Canada. Most people live in the suburbs and this part of downtown empties right out Friday evenings and other than the tourist traffic (usually during the festivals and all through the summer), this part of the city is fairly dead until Monday morning. Many of the buildings are government complexes, so that is part of the reason.

Night life tends to be in the Byward Market (which is about a 10 minute walk behind where I am shooting from) and along Elgin St (which is the street that runs left out of the frame), but that section is a 6 or 7 minute walk away too. The large theatre / concert hall is a couple of minutes away as is a large convention centre, so all of the key drivers for activity are in the area.