Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Morning's Moose

Real Name
    Dan

This Morning's Moose

I went out again this morning to try for some more moose action. Only found one medium sized bull. He was only about 75m from where I parked my vehicle. He was intently feeding so I was able to spend some time with him and pick my shots to some degree.

Shot with D810/300mm f2.8

As always best viewed in the light box.

It was a lovely morning though a bit blustery. The background here is Mt. Foraker about 150mi. distant. Mt.McKinley is hidden in the clouds to the right of Foraker. You can see buildings at the Anchorage airport down on the valley floor. And the leaves on the BG tree are showing signs of impending fall. This one photo was shot with D7200/70-200mm f4.

This Morning's Moose

This boy is still in full velvet. But you can see the light patches indicating he's near to scraping it off.

This Morning's Moose

After a while he was comfortable enough to feed over close to me and offer a nice portrait. You have to love those eyes.

This Morning's Moose

And what are the odds that this would be one of the same moose that I shot Saturday morning about a mile and a half farther up the valley. Here he was Saturday hanging with another bull.

This Morning's Moose

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: This Morning's Moose

Awesome clarity in these shots Dan, and what a backdrop!

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Awesome clarity in these shots Dan..
    Thanks, Dave. These past couple of days have been the first chance I've had to shoot (other than my dog) with the 300mm f2.8 that I obtained this spring. Combined with the D810 it provides crazy sharp detail. With this combo I eliminate capture sharpening from my work flow. I do some selective "micro contrast" and the only true sharpening is final output when down sampling and converting to jpeg. Over the next few days I hope to try the lens out with my other bodies for comparison.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

OK I think I am starting to get a bit of "gear envy". That lens would go very well with my D610.

It looks like the light was working with you too.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just superb wildlife photography. A lesson in the quality to be aspired to (for me anyway!). These are not just snapshots of a moose. I see them as well-crafted (composition, exposure, clarity, detail) images.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

When I see a moose, it reminds me of burgers...Darn! On a diet too... anyway...#1 reminds me of Donald's balloon that has tthe scenery included with it...I like #2 for the pose he gave you...At the last one, I wonder if they are talking bull talks??? hmmm

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Jim

Nice series, enjoyed viewing.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I absolutely love #3!

Absolutely fabulous series. Wildlife photography at its best.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    Absolutely fabulous series. Wildlife photography at its best.
    No doubt about it!

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. Opportunity helps a lot. I spent about an hour with the bull yesterday waiting for him to move clear of brush, to turn his head just so, etc. Also like with any subject matter in photography, with time one learns the little details that make a difference with each different animal. When I get some time I'll put together a post demonstrating some of this.

Wonderful series Dan. I don't have gear envy but I think there is some envy of your opportunities to capture these animals.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    ...I don't have gear envy but I think there is some envy of your opportunities to capture these animals.
    Greener grass syndrome, Rita. Any subject matter gets old. I'm envious of Florida birders and anyone with backyard bird feeders. Particularly hummingbird feeders. We can't put out feeders here because they attract bears. Well we CAN. But bears become quite a nuisance if they associate your house with food.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Brilliant shots Dan. I am amazed you can get this close and they accept your presence.

Real Name
    Peter

Great series Dan, the third image gets my vote with the others joint second, well captured

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    ...I am amazed you can get this close and they accept your presence.
    First off, this is in an area with no hunting and quite a few hiking trails. So for the most part they don't view people as threatening. Secondly one needs to be patient, move slowly, and let the animal get comfortable with your presence. Rather than sneaking up I make myself plainly visible and often talk to them so they know where I am. And of course it varies by animal. If observant one learns to read the body language. As I'm sure you are well accustomed to doing with your patients

The most problematic moose tend to be the smaller teenage type bulls that are looking for someone smaller to push around. And the cows. Of course they are protective of calves but they are also very protective of their suitors during the rut. And then sometimes the goofy things walk up to you looking all friendly/curious as if they want their ears scratched. I'm not sure what that's all about but I have no desire to be that close to that big of an animal

Real Name
    Natalie

These are magnificent. I visited Alaska on a Holland cruise/tour, and I saw moose in the distance, but this must have been quite the experience. Well done.

Great series Dan.
    The mountains look surreal in #1.
    I'd want to be within 'get in the car QUICK!' distance if on foot near those guys.

Oh, and didn't Mt. McK become Denali just recently?

Real Name
    Jim

Excellent shots Dan! Makes me crave a burger as well. I guess you'll have to start getting used to calling that mountain Denali?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast