Thread: The Prison

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The Prison

The shot shows the interior cages of the elephant hose at the Higashiama Zoo in Nagoya, Japan.

When I first saw it and the heavy bars, is somehow said "prison" to me. One of the elephants can be seen in the background. The other two elephants were outside in the exercise yard.

The Prison

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: The Prison

I like the patterns and wonder if the image wouldn't be at least as nice as a monochrome.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It does, and I thought about monochrome when I was shooting. I think the problem with going monochrome is that it changes the message that I am trying to portray with this image.

A monochrome version works well and makes a more traditional view almost one that is set in the past. What I was trying to present is that in spite of extreme cleanliness, bright natural light and a warm tone (I did boost the warmth in the colour version), it's still a prison. I loose this content (and hence message) in monochrome.

The Prison

I also lose the elephant....

The monochrome version definitely doesn't tell your intended story. Even so, I still prefer it because I'm a fan of patterns and I like the way the patterns bring more attention to the elephant in the rear and vice versa.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The monochrome version definitely doesn't tell your intended story. Even so, I still prefer it because I'm a fan of patterns and I like the way the patterns bring more attention to the elephant in the rear and vice versa.
    +1

Real Name
    Binnur

+1 to Mike's comment. I also like the way you cacth patterns , shapes and leading lines in daily life Manfred

Real Name
    Brian

how could it say anything but prison.

Real Name
    Ole

To me, the colour version is bright. Are the bars meant to protect the animals as well as keeping them in? In the mono version. Are the bars a barrier to the viewer as well as keeping the animals in? To me, the two photos are totally different. It depends what you want the viewer to perceive.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    To me, the colour version is bright. Are the bars meant to protect the animals as well as keeping them in? In the mono version. Are the bars a barrier to the viewer as well as keeping the animals in? To me, the two photos are totally different. It depends what you want the viewer to perceive.
    I rather suspect that the bars are to keep the elephants in and protect the visitors from them. Harming an elephant is not going to be all that easy.

In real life, the bars are a middle gray are close to what I show in the colour version. The black & white version is my response to Mike Buckley's comment. When one only has a gray scale to work with I had to come up with a conversion that had a degree of depth.

In my view, I prefer the colour version, as it delivers the message better. A jail (for elephants) is still a jail, regardless of how bright and clean it is and how well maintained it is. I find the B&W version is more of an image about the horizontal and vertical lines and less about the elephants that spend time there..

If I show a shot I took taken just a few steps to the left of where I shot the previous one, I capture a completely different, less threatening looking place, in either colour or monochrome.

The Prison

The Prison
    Last edited by Manfred M; 10th September 2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added images

Though I agree that the second composition conveys a less threatening feeling, it does a better job of conveying for me the concept of the clean jail. Perhaps it's the long corridor that I associate with jails.

Regardless of how each of us perceives the photos, the discussion about them is very enlightening.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Though I agree that the second composition conveys a less threatening feeling, it does a better job of conveying for me the concept of the clean jail. Perhaps it's the long corridor that I associate with jails.

Regardless of how each of us perceives the photos, the discussion about them is very enlightening.
    +1 to that. As to the original image, I prefer the colour version. The colours add to the depth of the composition for me and although that isn't so important if you see the mono version as a pattern shot, I like the intent of the original composition.

Real Name
    John

Nice concept.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the composition and the explanation of both as to why you shot these images...I prefer the colour version too as the black and white version looks "cold" to the taste, no variation at all...

This is very much like the elephant handling facilities at the San Diego Zoo.

The Prison

I imagine the smaller mesh as seen in my photo is because the handlers are in close proximity to the cage when working on the elephants. No 'reach thru' of their trunks can happen. Note the yellow line in Manfred's shot, clearly a 'stay out zone' for humans.
    Nice picture Manfred. I wish I'd had more time to get a better shot.