Thread: Savannah Spanish Moss

Real Name
    Jim

Savannah Spanish Moss

I posted another shot of Spanish Moss a few weeks ago from my recent trip and it was not that good.

So, another try. This one taken at Bonaventure Cemetery. C&C welcome.

Savannah Spanish Moss

Real Name
    John

Re: Savannah Spanish Moss

Hi Jim,

It's very difficult to see any detail with the lighting and density of the foliage.

Real Name
    Jim

Oh well, another moss flop.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very interesting....I think it will work more in early morning light or tinted eve light

Real Name
    Binnur

I agree with Nandakumar's comment about the shooting time , very interesting trees Have you tried a BnW conversion? It might look good but it is difficult to say without seeing.

Real Name
    Dave

I think it's an image which works better if you have been there, which I guess is a flaw.

We don't have a lot of spanish moss in the north of England, but I have been in the southern USA a few times, and I think it is very tricky stuff to photograph. When you are there, and especially if there is a little breeze, the stuff moves in a beguiling way that gets lost in a still. Leastways, it's defeated me so far.

Dave

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

I am relatively new but would upping the black give it more oooophff?

Real Name
    Richard

I like this image quite a bit. It reminds me of the time I lived in the deep South. However on my monitor a few tweeks seemed to benefit the image, I used NIK Viveza and did the following global corrections: Structure +30%, Saturation -10% and brightness -5%

Savannah Spanish Moss

Of course, this is for my monitor only and may look different on other monitors...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Jim - I find that this type of image is extremely difficult to do effectively. This type of shot doesn't really have a subject that pull's the viewer's eyes into the frame, so they tend to wander all over the place, and that is not generally going to give you a strong composition.

The path could help do this, as it does lead into the image, but it just seems to be overpowered by the surrounding trees (with Spanish Moss) and the hedges on the side. Having shot this image with a short telephoto setting (94mm FF equivalent) flattens the overall image and works against you as well. A wide angle shot would give you more of a three-dimensional look.

So with a bit of burning, dodging and reworking with Nik Color Efex lets me sort of demonstrate what I have written about. I bit heavy-handed I know, but one kind of gets the idea of what's in my head.

Savannah Spanish Moss

It looks different in Lightbox...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I think to compare the three shots, I like the edit of Richard...the shot still looks crazy busy for me...Nice try though...

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks all for the feedback and comments. I think I would have better luck early/late in the day.

Thanks Manfred and Richard for taking the time to edit. Both nice but I think I like Richard's a little better.