Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Must Read Photography/Post Processing Library

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Must Read Photography/Post Processing Library

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I was diagnosed as an OSA sufferer just over 2 years ago
    Strike 2.

I've used, what we call, a CPAP (Continuous Positive etc...), for about 10 years. Is a CPAP different from an A-PAP?

But now we're getting off topic!

Real Name
    Matthew

I have just ordered "The Digital Photography Book" by Kelby. It was only $15 so I though I would give it a try. It seems to have gotten some good reviews.

Plus, I get a secret "Mystery bag" with my order!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by stripe View Post
    Plus, I get a secret "Mystery bag" with my order!
    Right, the 'fee' for all this advice and guidance is that we want to know what's in the 'Mystery Bag' when it arrives.

Real Name
    Matthew

I'm kind of expecting it to be some useless Kelby book about iPods or something. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be a Photoshop book or something? Or maybe it will just be a Kelby t-shirt. That would be disappointing.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Strike 2.

I've used, what we call, a CPAP (Continuous Positive etc...), for about 10 years. Is a CPAP different from an A-PAP?

But now we're getting off topic!
    Hi Donald,

The principle is exactly the same - in fact they refer to either as "X-PAP" in a lot of forums. The difference is that APAP will adjust the pressure up and down in response to snoring and other events (hypoxias / apneas etc), whereas CPAP is a continuous pressure (although it may ramp up to that pressure over a given "ramping time").

I used to think that APAP was "vastly superior", but in reality I found that although I was a severe OSA sufferer (events every 50 seconds, lasting for 25 seconds!) it was controlled well over a fairly narrow pressure range ... so in reality, CPAP works just as well (my unit can do either) (in fact, I got slightly better stats on CPAP). The thing that made the biggest difference in my case though was using a full face mask - my results using nasel pillows / oral delivery / hybrid masks turned out to be somewhere between "comical" and "totally unsatisfactory"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Well, I'm on a full face mask because of an accident when I was five years old that resulted in me breaking my nose. As a result, I breath through my mouth rather than my nose.

It has certainly made a huge difference to my quality of life and I would encourage anyone who thinks they may have a problem to put aside any prejudices they think exist and go for the treatment. It makes a huge difference to your quality of life.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, I'm on a full face mask because of an accident when I was five years old that resulted in me breaking my nose. As a result, I breath through my mouth rather than my nose.

It has certainly made a huge difference to my quality of life and I would encourage anyone who thinks they may have a problem to put aside any prejudices they think exist and go for the treatment. It makes a huge difference to your quality of life.
    I agree totally. I think people's success is directly proportional to their attitude; those who expect "issues" never seem to disappoint themselves (to their detriment). The thing that always amuses me is when I get asked "isn't it unforfortable sleeping with a mask?" - Doh - no, 'cause I'm asleep! In fact I think it has many advantages that people don't think of.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Happy to talk about it more here or via PM if there's anything you'd like to chat about it (sounds like you're lining up a present for someone!)
    Thanks. I raised the question and showed the posts, so now the ball is at the other end of the court.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Thanks. I raised the question and showed the posts, so now the ball is at the other end of the court.
    Good luck

For what it's worth (ie a good night's sleep - needing less sleep - feeling better during the day - lowering chances of medical problems eg hypertension, heart attacks etc) there is a process to go through; first step is a consult with a sleep therapist who will probably conduct a sleep study (big fancy word for sending you home with a little box you wear whilst sleeping that monitors breathing / O2 sat / body position. After that they view the results and then set the patient up with a machine on a trial basis to start with. Don't quote me, but it's my understanding that OSA suffers may well be entitled to a basic machine paid for by the government (I was eligible, but wanted a more advanced machine so had to pay for it all myself, but knowing what I do now, a basic machine would have probably have been just as effective).

I'll stop the preaching now and let them make their own decision (one they have to live with for the "rest of their lives" -- excuse the pun!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12