Thread: The King's Bath

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The King's Bath

We spent the last four days traveling to see some of the stunning ruins in Northern Karnataka State in India. The best known are likely the ruins at Hampi (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), which is located within the larger ruined city of Vijayanagara. We also spent a day exploring other UNESCO and Indian Heritage Sites at Aihole, Badami and Pattadakal.

These are not exactly easy to get to (nor do they lie along the normal tourist routes). The nearest airport is over 400km away in Bangalore, and if you don't have a car, the best way to reach them is via an overnight sleeper train (9 hour train ride from Bangalore to Hospet).

These images are of the King's Bath. which was fed by an aqueduct.

King's Bath #1

The King's Bath

King's Bath #2

The King's Bath
    Last edited by Manfred M; 4th March 2016 at 12:18 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The King's Bath

Superb use made of the lines, shapes and patterns.

Manfred you have a keen eye for pattern, perspective and proportion!

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Superb images....

PS: did you mean Hampi? then you must have a huge collection of images of temple and chariots?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Superb images....

PS: did you mean Hampi? then you must have a huge collection of images of temple and chariots?

Thanks for catching that typo. I've corrected it now. Unfortunately, the internet is acting a bit strange and every so often. what I am typing doesn't seem to get captured.

I have lots of images (around 1500 over three days of shooting in total) so I have a lot of culling to do. The shooting conditions were not the best. I would love to shoot when the conditions are less hazy, and of course during morning and evening "golden hour". But that did not happen this time.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Manfred,

Sooner or later, someone is going to ask;
    Was the King bathing a spectator sport?

I can't absolutely determine the scale, but those smaller steps look to be a suitable height for people to sit on and watch.

However, if that's not the case, why on earth build it like that?

Interesting, thanks for sharing, Dave

Real Name
    Nandakumar

From the extreme summer to monsoon, the pond may be nearly dry to full of water and so irrespective of the season, the king can step in and take bath

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Manfred,

Sooner or later, someone is going to ask;
    Was the King bathing a spectator sport?

I can't absolutely determine the scale, but those smaller steps look to be a suitable height for people to sit on and watch.

However, if that's not the case, why on earth build it like that?

Interesting, thanks for sharing, Dave
    Dave - my understanding is the same as Nandakumar's. The amount of water available is highly dependent on the time of year and during the monsoon season, the pool filled right up, and at this time of the year, the water level could be quite low. It was used for "recreational bathing" (whatever that meant), and would include only the king and those close to him (men only); the Queen had her own pool at her own quarters some distance away. The whole royal compound was huge and situated behind four high stone walls.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks for catching that typo. I've corrected it now. Unfortunately, the internet is acting a bit strange and every so often. what I am typing doesn't seem to get captured.

I have lots of images (around 1500 over three days of shooting in total) so I have a lot of culling to do. The shooting conditions were not the best. I would love to shoot when the conditions are less hazy, and of course during morning and evening "golden hour". But that did not happen this time.
    ....and of course, you would have liked to spend more time there. Good eye and selection of pattern, symmetry and viewpoint.