Thread: PWS Oystercatchers (photo essay)

Real Name
    Dan

PWS Oystercatchers (photo essay)

Every year while boating on Prince William Sound we see oystercatchers nesting. They like to nest on small rocks that are isolated by water and free of trees. They typically don't share space with other birds and defend their little islands vigorously from intruders. But in spite of seeing them every spring, for whatever reason I've never taken the time to shoot them. Ironically I have photos of oystercatchers in NZ, Ozz, and the US Gulf Coast, but to-date none in Alaska. In fact, my laziness has been so extreme that I haven't even bothered to shoot a pair that has nested for the past three seasons about 100m from where we anchor our boat sometimes while shrimping. But this year I resolved to visit them if they returned again. They did and I finally spent some time with them.

As always best viewed in the light box.

1) First, here's the setting. Our boat anchored among some rocky islands in Unakwik Inlet on Prince William Sound. The catchers' rock is out of frame to the right. Shot with D810 w/70-200mm f4.

The bird shots were all taken with Nikon D500, 200-500mm f5.6, handheld.

Paddling over to the catchers' rock took me past a bunch of Harlequin Ducks hiding in plain sight among the seaweed below the tideline on some rocks.

2) A few of the 30 or 40 that were on the rocks.

3) The drakes' colors don't look like camo but from a distance they blend amazingly with the rocks.

And finally the objects of my desire. I hauled out on some rocks just opposite the catchers' rock. It was low tide and there was a small gravel spit connecting my rock and theirs. I was close enough for reasonable shots and far enough not to upset them too badly. Though as I'd soon learn not far enough to be ignored. They took notice of me but kept on about their business. For a while...

4) This one is sporting a leg band.

5) I love the lichen covered rock.

6) When it flew straight at me I thought I was in for a thrashing. But it landed quietly just behind me on my rock.

7) And began some really interesting behavior. First, repeatedly ducking down then peeking over the rock at me. It was quite close. This is full frame.

For the next several minutes the same bird did what seemed to be mimicking sitting on a nest. First on the rocks near me. Then it moved down to the little gravel beach in a wide open area right in front of me. I assume it was acting like it was sitting on a nest to trick me into paying attention to it rather than the real nest across the way. When it was doing this it had its back to me and being the anal wildlife photographer I didn't bother shooting. At the time it didn't occur to me to at least take a frame or two to document the behavior.

When the fake nesting didn't work the bird returned to its own rock. Apparently enough was enough. The mate came out and together they started their raucous screeching at me. So I slunk back to my kayak and left.

8)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: PWS Oystercatchers (photo essay)

They are not that stupid after all, Dan...They can think for themselves and have ways. The way these two are bidding you farewell, it looks like they're both saying "We've stopped him! We've stopped him!"

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks for the beautiful images and the story Dan

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    John

I enjoyed these Dan. I have no intention to crit them as images (not that there is much to criticise) because the interest is all in the wild life. 6 And 7 are the pick of the bunch for me but they are all good. Since I retired, my interest in natural history photography has been growing but compared to the treasure house on your doorstep, there is a paucity of opportunity around here. However, just sitting and watching is sometimes pleasurable enough.

Real Name
    Denny

Nicely done, I think I like the next to the last one with just a head the best.....
    Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Bruce

Dan, very nice captures, and an interesting narrative. I firmly believe that all wildlife is far smarter than we, as humans, give them credit for.

Bruce

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for commenting and glad you folks enjoyed the post. It was definitely an hour or so of quality time watching these guys.

Dan, very interesting and informative shots, all which appear to be under rather harsh lighting conditions.
    A couple of comments:
    Relative to your comment about Harlequin Ducks and their ability to blend in, a shot showing that would have been very cool.

#8 cracks me up because they look like birds made by someone not totally familiar with birds, the beaks just look wrong (realizing of course that this is the way they look), or perhaps they were wearing the bird equivalent of fake glasses and nose?

In your first image, not sure you should have included it, quite the bland and boring image, especially the background; cliched, busy, snow capped, majestic mountains. Seriously, was this photo shopped? Where are the skyscrapers? Busy city streets? Throngs of people?

It must just plain suck to live somewhere where the scenery/background is as good or better than the subject of your shots. Ah the price you must pay. Of course, on the other hand, where I am, my island/beach house is eminently usable 8-9 months of the year, so I have that going for me...

Real Name
    Greg

Nice set, Dan. I think #7 is a good portrait of the oyster catcher.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    ...Relative to your comment about Harlequin Ducks and their ability to blend in, a shot showing that would have been very cool.
    Good point, Jack. My natural inclination was to shoot the ones with the best contrasting BG. OK so imagine if you can the same ducks sitting on rocks like the one in no.4. The blue/grey on the ducks matches the rock color very well and the white patches from a distance look similar to the patches of barnacles. Yes a picture would have been much better than a description...

...#8 cracks me up because they look like birds made by someone not totally familiar with birds, the beaks just look wrong (realizing of course that this is the way they look), or perhaps they were wearing the bird equivalent of fake glasses and nose?
    They are the craziest looking things, aren't they? Like clown birds. With personalities to match.

In your first image, not sure you should have included it...
    It is a shameless plug for the Alaska tourism industry. But, hey, with oil prices down we need every tourist dollar we can get

Real Name
    Matthew

Great story and shots, Dan. Sounds like an awesome experience with some super cool birds that I would love to photograph.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Superb set of images