Thread: The windmill and the pond

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The windmill and the pond

This is an old fashioned wind-powered water pump that is pulling water from the pond in front of it. I remember seeing lots of these devices around when I was a child and we drove out to the country, but to a very large extent, these have been replaced by electric powered pumps.

Yes it was raining when I took this picture and I hurried back for shelter and got there a few minutes before a real cloud-burst. A tripod and a slow shutter speed show motion of the windmill.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 15th August 2016 at 09:53 AM.

Real Name
    George

Re: The windmill and the pond

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    This is an old fashioned wind-powered water pump that is pulling water from the pond in front of it. I remember seeing lots of these devices around when I was a child and we drove out to the country, but to a very large extent, these have been replaced by electric powered pumps.

Yes it was raining when I took this picture and I hurried back for shelter and got there a few minutes before a real cloud-burst. A tripod and a slow shutter speed show motion of the windmill.
    Is this one working? The props are turning but I don't see any connection to the ground that makes it a water pump.

George

Real Name
    Nandakumar

very nice image; I think the suction pipe has been removed...or under ground?

Real Name
    Chris

Think it has been converted into a nice weather vane.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Actually it still runs a pump that keeps the pond in foreground full. I suspect that rather than a traditional mechanical pump, the wind drives a small generator that runs an electrical pump (I'll have a closer look next time I visit the farm). The windmill is both decorative and functional in this case and one can see the water welling out in the centre of the pond from time to time. The water source is a small stream that runs nearby and given the near-drought conditions in the area (this was the first rain in almost a month), I suspect it is running. There doesn't seem to be any electrical wiring in the area and it is a fair distance from the farmhouse.

Real Name
    John

Very scenic capture.