Thread: Full Double Rainbow

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Full Double Rainbow

I've only seen a double rainbow twice so far. Luckily I had my camera, a tripod and an ultrawide angle lens to capture it.

Full Double Rainbow

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Full Double Rainbow

Cool shot Manfred. Not only is it a near perfect double rainbow but you have a good foreground too.

I wonder why the colours of the two rainbows are distributed in opposite directions?

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just found this explanation on the net, Dave.

" Now, about double rainbows: What's happening here is that the ray of sunlight bounces twice off the back interior surface of the raindrop before re-emerging into the air. The second reflection inverts the order of the colors – the secondary violet band forms at 54 degrees, the red band at 50.5 degrees – so the secondary rainbow appears above the primary one, with red on the inner edge and violet on the outer. Because the twice-reflected light has had two chances to be transmitted out the back of the raindrop rather than reflected back toward the observer, the secondary bow is much fainter than the primary and frequently cannot be seen at all; it's typical for a secondary rainbow to be visible only at certain points along the arc.

If the light is strong enough to remain visible after being reflected three times inside the raindrop, an even fainter tertiary rainbow can sometimes be seen (at least in part) above the secondary one, with the red back on the outside and the violet on the inside. And rumor has it that it's occasionally possible to see a quadruple rainbow. "

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ouble-rainbows
    Last edited by Manfred M; 16th August 2016 at 09:05 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Just found this explanation on the net, Dave.

" Now, about double rainbows: What's happening here is that the ray of sunlight bounces twice off the back interior surface of the raindrop before re-emerging into the air. The second reflection inverts the order of the colors – the secondary violet band forms at 54 degrees, the red band at 50.5 degrees – so the secondary rainbow appears above the primary one, with red on the inner edge and violet on the outer. Because the twice-reflected light has had two chances to be transmitted out the back of the raindrop rather than reflected back toward the observer, the secondary bow is much fainter than the primary and frequently cannot be seen at all; it's typical for a secondary rainbow to be visible only at certain points along the arc.

If the light is strong enough to remain visible after being reflected three times inside the raindrop, an even fainter tertiary rainbow can sometimes be seen (at least in part) above the secondary one, with the red back on the outside and the violet on the inside. And rumor has it that it's occasionally possible to see a quadruple rainbow. "

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ouble-rainbows
    ahh.. the wonders of physics!

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Real Name
    Dave

WOW what a great image Manfred.

Dave

Fantastic! Love the light in this one.

Real Name
    Matt

Beautiful shot Manfred! You've captured it perfectly and that was probably the only opportunity you'll get Full Double Rainbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    John

That's another fine shot Manfred.

Real Name
    Rudi

Nice shot Manfred.

I would be interested in the settings, equipment you used .

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Beautiful shot Manfred! You've captured it perfectly and that was probably the only opportunity you'll get Full Double Rainbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, I was able to get one a couple of years ago, but neither the location / setting were nearly as nice as this one. One thing I learned from that shoot was that I had to bracket the shots to get a better definition of the sky, and then bring back both the sky and ground, otherwise the second rainbow gets lost as it is a lot lighter than the first one.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Nice shot Manfred.

I would be interested in the settings, equipment you used .
    Nikon D800 with Nikkor 14-24mm lens. Settings were ISO 100, f/8 at 1/20th second exposure using a 14mm focal length. I bracketed the shot to ensure that I had a good sky. Tripod is a Feisol 3372 without the column and a RRS BH-55 ball head.

Real Name
    John

I find that whenever there is a clear single rainbow, you can usually spot at least a partial second bow. However, getting a photograph of an almost complete double bow, well that is really something! Well done!

John

Real Name
    Carol

Congratulations Manfred on an interesting, balanced and intriguing image and appreciate your sharing related information.