Thread: Belle Isle Access Bridge - Detroit

Real Name
    Dennis Brown

Belle Isle Access Bridge - Detroit

Belle Isle is an island park in the Detroit River. It's history in the past 50 years has seen a deterioration from a beautiful jewel of the city, to an urban mess with rampant crime, drug use, and general deterioration of the buildings, monuments, beaches, and facilities.

A few years back, Detroit went into Chapter Nine bankruptcy, and Detroit decided it could no longer maintain the park at even poor, minimal levels. The State of Michigan stepped in, signing an agreement which puts the state's park system in charge for the next 99 years. After the papers were signed, the state went to work; visitors need a daily or annual fee pass; the state police took over law enforcement; and plans were put in place to start restoration. After two years, the results are impressive. The riffraff have become personae non gratis, the park cleaned up, statues, fountains, and buildings have seen restorations started, and in time, the park will become a beautiful jewel again.

The bridge has been photographed so many times, that there are few, if any "new views" to be had. I photographed it today, tightening the perspective a bit, converting the raw image to black and white, and added a slight sepia tone. This image is from the north side, just downstream from the Detroit Yacht Club, a building of its own architectural greatness.

Belle Isle Access Bridge - Detroit

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Belle Isle Access Bridge - Detroit

Very nice image; fine treatment; i would like to see a bit more breathing space on the right side; warm welcome

Real Name
    Maurice

Dennis, nice image.

Real Name
    Binnur

Welcome Dennis I like the image, interesting processing. Did you use some of the filters in CEP4 for processing ?

Real Name
    Dennis Brown

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Welcome Dennis I like the image, interesting processing. Did you use some of the filters in CEP4 for processing ?
    The conversion was rather straightforward. I used Photoshop Elements 14, converted from RAW; did a bit of sharpening, and "unbending" the verticals; converted to B&W, and then added a mild sepia tone from the pull-down menu.