Thread: Reptiles are slow learners.

Real Name
    Richard

Reptiles are slow learners.

I went for a walk today through a local National Park to find a creek where I hoped I might see some kingfishers.
    The track was soft sand and only used by NP vehicles.

The creek was about 2m below its normal level, in fact is is one of the few that have any water at all.

The only winged creatures were the usual (boring) dragons.
    Aussie Tiger.

Red dragon

The creek was so low I found a spot I could cross to the other side without getting wet - about halfway across there was a great rustling sound in the reeds a few feet away. We are much too far south for crocs so I wasn't too worried and didn't actually see what it was, but it was clearly only interested in getting away from me. As I climbed the other bank a Pheasant Coucal left its perch in great panic from the tree I had walked under on the other bank. I cursed my carelessness for not having spotted it and got a few shots. It was now too far away for a shot. There was nothing to see on the other back so I walked back the way I had come. When I got to the tree the cuckoo had left in panic I could see why.
    This little lady is what I must have frightened in the reeds.

Whenever threatened they always climb a tree. After forty thousand years of humans hunting them you would think they would have learned other strategies. The local tribe would have gathered under the tree while one member climbed after her and whacked her with a Nulla Nulla.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Reptiles are slow learners.

A good example of evolution at work.

During our last trip over there we ran across a couple of those critters trying there best to kill one another. There was an impressive amount of blood and gore involved.

Nice set of bugs. How long did it take to align the bright BG branches perfectly with the wings of the red dragon?

Real Name
    Tony Watts

That second picture of the red dragon is especially well done. The others are good too.

I saw two forest kingfishers from our bathroom window this morning. I didn't have time to get my camera out unfortunately.

It's interesting that the goanna (aka lace monitor) is genetically related to the Komodo dragon of Indonesia.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

A real nice series of images, Richard. The Red Dragon is my fav.

Real Name
    Dave

Nice series and explanation of your outing.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Nice and interesting set of images Richard. Enjoyed the explanation as well. Just shows you how where you are in the world, influences your viewpoint. As Dan has said the bug shots are particularly good. You describe them as "the usual boring Dragons". In this part of the world if we see one it's an opportunity not to be missed and even then, catching the blighters for long enough to make a decent exposure, is a bit hit and miss.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent set of images!!!!

Real Name
    Mark

think they work on a longer timeframe than us - 'After forty thousand years of humans hunting them you would think they would have learned other strategies.' - in 40,000 years we will be gone and they will still be around climbing trees!

Great images by the way

Real Name
    Maurice

Far from boring, to me they are outstanding. Love the dragons flies, execution fabulous.

Real Name
    Binnur

Interesting series Richard, thanks for sharing The last image looks a bit washed out, reducing the highlights might help.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Interesting series Richard, thanks for sharing The last image looks a bit washed out, reducing the highlights might help.
    Thanks Binnur, Alas the shot was back-lit against a sky full of extreme UV. This is about the best I could do.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Nice and interesting set of images Richard. Enjoyed the explanation as well. Just shows you how where you are in the world, influences your viewpoint. As Dan has said the bug shots are particularly good. You describe them as "the usual boring Dragons". In this part of the world if we see one it's an opportunity not to be missed and even then, catching the blighters for long enough to make a decent exposure, is a bit hit and miss.
    Thanks John,
    for nine months of the year we have swarms of them around every waterhole - I have been trying to get a sharp shot of one in flight, they do hover for a second or two but I have yet to nail one. My camera is quite capable of doing so it's the operator that lacks the skill

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    ...they work on a longer timeframe than us ...
    And yet I think they must still be pretty dense creatures as these things go. Compare them to reptiles in North America. Cajuns have only been eating them over here for a couple of hundred years. And then mainly confined to the deep south of the USA. And yet any and every reptile species on the continent flees for its life at the first sign of human presence.

Real Name
    Binnur

It looks better Richard

Quote Originally Posted by DickyOZ View Post
    Thanks Binnur, Alas the shot was back-lit against a sky full of extreme UV. This is about the best I could do.