Thread: A rare warm day in snow country

Real Name
    John

A rare warm day in snow country

Reached 55 degrees F. I wanted to work the scene but a seagull scared them away.

A rare warm day in snow country

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: A rare warm day in snow country

Wow, gorgeous colors on the male! Really nice photo. I see something looking like a small wave coming?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Where did you take this, John? We are having a winter draught right now...rain and snow are very rare for this winter and we're having 69s and low 70s lately. Really good for going out though I am delaying it until I heal properly from my hands operation. Your duckies doesn't mind the cold and they are pretty. At first I thought the bunch of snow on the background is a bunch of clouds until I saw the whole image. The female one looks sad there is not much real water...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Wow, gorgeous colors on the male! Really nice photo. I see something looking like a small wave coming?
    Hi Sharon,

Yes a frozen wave as they were standing on a bed of ice. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Where did you take this, John? We are having a winter draught right now...rain and snow are very rare for this winter and we're having 69s and low 70s lately. Really good for going out though I am delaying it until I heal properly from my hands operation. Your duckies doesn't mind the cold and they are pretty. At first I thought the bunch of snow on the background is a bunch of clouds until I saw the whole image. The female one looks sad there is not much real water...
    Hi Izzie,

Shot taken in Buffalo NY, area is usually buried in snow this time of year but temperatures peaked at 55F today and the area will see similar for the next four days; many winter activities cancelled for lack of snow. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

So lovely; i can't even imagine that cold

Real Name
    Jean

Something seems unreal:
    I can see the harsh shadow of the top duck's beak but no shadow of the two ducks on the ice

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Hi Nandakumar,

Years ago I dreaded really hot summers, now I seem to tolerate heat much better; probably because I'm less energetic as I was back then.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    Something seems unreal:
    I can see the harsh shadow of the top duck's beak but no shadow of the two ducks on the ice
    Hi Jean,

Not a trick shot, didn't pay that much attention to the shadows when the shot was taken; only knew that the sun was cascading from left and liked how it illuminated the feathers. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I read someone commented before...put your head in the freezer to feel how we feel in our winter.
    Some spellings and fingers do not go together well -- draught for drought. Sorry John. But to add here, in Missouri, last night we have 65°F but the heat of our day here was 77°F -- Summer! We were watering our front yard heavily...

Real Name
    John

I read someone commented before...put your head in the freezer to feel how we feel in our winter.
    Some spellings and fingers do not go together well -- draught for drought. Sorry John. But to add here, in Missouri, last night we have 65°F but the heat of our day here was 77°F -- Summer! We were watering our front yard heavily...
    Izzie, lucky you but beware of the hail storms, a relative said they can be as big as golf balls in your area.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi John The birds look very nice on the ice but do you think the image needs that frozen wave ? If the image was mine I would crop it out as it distracts a bit.

Real Name
    Joe

You have caught the colours of the ducks beautifully!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi John The birds look very nice on the ice but do you think the image needs that frozen wave ? If the image was mine I would crop it out as it distracts a bit.
    Hi Binnur,

I left in to show the environment, thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    You have caught the colours of the ducks beautifully!
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Izzie, lucky you but beware of the hail storms, a relative said they can be as big as golf balls in your area.
    Not where we live here...in the next county two blocks or so away they have that. I have been living here for nearly 35 years and we have two cars outside in the driveway and we have not had that big hail storms. We are quite lucky so far...when there is weather disaster, it will have to be a bit away from us out somewhere else.

Real Name
    John

Not where we live here...in the next county two blocks or so away they have that. I have been living here for nearly 35 years and we have two cars outside in the driveway and we have not had that big hail storms. We are quite lucky so far...when there is weather disaster, it will have to be a bit away from us out somewhere else.
    Good to hear, I heard from same relative that hail damage isn't covered by auto insurance.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    My feelings also John. I understand your intent but the highlight pulls a bit. Otherwise the melting ice gave you a great BG for those beautiful colours.

Real Name
    Zen

Nice shot, John. As a fellow WNY'r, I'd leave then wave in. Looks like it could be on the river up in front Of Mississippi Mudd's or in front of the GM plant - somewhere where you've got river wash.

You've got to wonder what the ducks are thinking. Air temp 50's, but ice underfoot. Odd, for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Zen