Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Girl in sun hat

Real Name
    Richard

Girl in sun hat

Even though I used fill flash on this one. I am bothered about the area of her chin where the hat brim doesn't shade. I asked her to tilt her head down a bit so that the shadow would cover her entire face but, then the brim of the hat interfered with her eyes. Additionally, with her chin lowered, it almost seemed like she had a double skin. I also tried working this out in PP (which I why I decided on the high key effect) but, that shadow line still bothers me...

Girl in sun hat

BTW, I didn't have the opportunity of moving her to a shaded area...

Is that shadow line as bothersome to you as it is to me? I do, however, like her eyes which is the reason I kept this image instead of dumping it. She reminds me of my step-daughter.

Here's one in color with no shadow line on her chin...
    Girl in sun hat
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th March 2017 at 02:27 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Girl in sun hat

Did you try NIK Viveza shadow adjustment? Nice set.

Real Name
    Richard

John... I use NIK Viveza on almost all of my images. It helped this one a bit. I also tried selecting the bottom of her chin using Viveza's control point and they trying to even out the light. This is about the best that I was able to do.

This is the OOC image with no processing...
    Girl in sun hat

Real Name
    John

Richard, for me this is one of the most difficult PP problems to solve because it is difficult to darken the highlight on her chin and retain some modelling of the curve. However try this:

1. Select the area and copy it.
    2. paste it back as a layer.
    3. Clone some texture back from the middle of her cheek onto the layer at about a 40% - 50% opacity.
    4. Add a Layer Mask and then use the gradient tool from left to right to vary the opacity of the cloned texture to get some shape back into the chin. You will need to experiment with the start and finish point to find the best compromise.
    5. If necessary, alter the overall layer opacity to get the best match with the rest of the face.
    6. Flatten the image and clone at low opacity to get rid of any edges.
    7. Dodge and Burn as needed to tidy up.

That should produce something like the image below in which I have also used the Highlight/Shadows tool to selectively pull back some detail in the broach around her neck and to better balance the peripheral highlights with the area around her eyes.

That would be my approach. Hope it is of some help.

P.S. I still like the High Key approach.

Girl in sun hat
    Last edited by John 2; 6th March 2017 at 11:40 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Richard, for me this is one of the most difficult PP problems to solve because it is difficult to darken the highlight on her chin and retain some modelling of the curve. However try this:

1. Select the area and copy it.
    2. paste it back as a layer.
    3. Clone some texture back from the middle of her cheek onto the layer at about a 40% - 50% opacity.
    4. Add a Layer Mask and then use the gradient tool from left to right to vary the opacity of the cloned texture to get some shape back into the chin. You will need to experiment with the start and finish point to find the best compromise.
    5. If necessary, alter the overall layer opacity to get the best match with the rest of the face.
    6. Flatten the image and clone at low opacity to get rid of any edges.
    7. Dodge and Burn as needed to tidy up.

That should produce something like the image below in which I have also used the Highlight/Shadows tool to selectively pull back some detail in the broach around her neck and to better balance the peripheral highlights with the area around her eyes.

That would be my approach. Hope it is of some help.

P.S. I still like the High Key approach.

Girl in sun hat
    I will definitely try your suggestions...

I tried another shot at the second image...
    Girl in sun hat

This is probably my final version...
    Girl in sun hat
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th March 2017 at 03:32 PM.

Real Name
    John

Your final version for me also Richard. Prefer it without the blur. Such a pretty face deserves to be seen in full.

Real Name
    Binnur

What a beautiful lady My fav is the last one but I also like the high key treatment .