Thread: Until today I thought that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Real Name
    Richard

Until today I thought that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

These birds are actually quite common around here but all I normally see of them is a blue and orange streak heading away from me. But after only three years of trying today my luck changed.
    #1 Azure Kingfisher
    Until today I thought that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Until today I thought that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at

You have given me hope. Maybe my luck will change as dramatically as yours has next time I am on the golf course.

Stunning colours and very well captured.

P.S. Never sure whether new clubs or a new camera will change my luck.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Until today I thought that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    You have given me hope. Maybe my luck will change as dramatically as yours has next time I am on the golf course.

On the golf course my luck only changes from bad to worse. So I would recommend a new camera.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    John

Lucky you. These are great shots. My experience of Kingfishers hs been like yours, just a blue streak!

John

Real Name
    Brian

such are the days we live for

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Lovely set of images....

Real Name
    Sandy

Golf is about to start here and it is all luck as far as I am concerned!

Your series is beautiful. Even the eyes are sharp. I'd say there is plenty of skill involved.

Real Name
    Susan

Capture them you did! Love the detail and the punch of color in the background as well.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Great shots of a very beautiful bird. I particularly like the first one.

Real Name
    Mark

dont try taking photos with the clubs and dont hit the balls with the camera - that should help

Real Name
    Binnur

Beautiful series Richard

I think in this case Richard has definitely scored a birdie!

Real Name
    Bruce

A great set of photos. I checked the EXIF and was surprised to see that these sharp photos were taken at a comparatively slow shutter speed, 1/30. You must have rock steady hands!

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    A great set of photos. I checked the EXIF and was surprised to see that these sharp photos were taken at a comparatively slow shutter speed, 1/30. You must have rock steady hands!
    The 300mm F4 has in lens IS and it works in conjunction with the 5 axis ISIS in the E-M1 body so even at 1/30sec I can still get a great result on a reasonably static subject. I had to change lens quickly and didn't remember to wind up the ISO so I count myself very fortunate to have got those results. I really hope to see that little bird again and be in better control of camera and settings.

Real Name
    Mark

very nice set of images Richard, great result all thing considered -this is where your skill comes in to overcome the accdental limitations and deliver the goods

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Every year I go to Melbourne with good intentions of seeing one of those kingfishers. Still have no luck -- and still waiting patiently. The first shot has that haughty look. I love this series, Richard.