Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Path to Harbour

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Path to Harbour

Not getting too many chances to get out with the cameras at the moment.

However, was up in Caithness, at the very north of Scotland, over the last week. The county of Caithness has bleak beauty that contrasts with the usual, mountainous highland landscape.

Any thoughts and your critique always welcome.

Path to Harbour
    Last edited by Donald; 12th March 2017 at 05:12 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Path to Harbour

I thought that to be Path to Infinitude.......

Real Name
    Jean

Beautiful rendering with this vignetage down opening on a grassy ground and this sky !!

Just one very slight thing for me. About half way between the post and left side, roughly at the same level as the bottom of the post there is a somewhat odd looking small diagonal bright line. Maybe the light catching an edge of some object?

Nothing serious but it seems to be out of place compared to the structure of everything else in that part of the scene.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Such a wonderful image in every respect. That path seems well worth taking considering the possibilities of even more great photos.

I can see what you mean Geoff, I think it might be a blade of shiny grass? I didn't register to me until you mentioned it and I saw it in the lightbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Just one very slight thing for me. About half way between the post and left side, roughly at the same level as the bottom of the post there is a somewhat odd looking small diagonal bright line. Maybe the light catching an edge of some object?

Nothing serious but it seems to be out of place compared to the structure of everything else in that part of the scene.

You nailed it (again).

Real Name
    John

Perfect simplicity of composition and nicely processed. This is a capture that many of us would have passed by. Good work as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    This is a capture that many of us would have passed by. Good work as usual.
    I certainly would have taken the walk and not even noticed the potential for photographing the sign.

Real Name
    Tony

Oh my g*d, you let the light hit a (several) blade of grass!! Shock! Horror! At least your horizon is horizontal! Nice simplistic image.

Real Name
    Ole

Donald, Geoff and Trev are right. One millimeter catching the light where it should not. We tend to be more critical of great photographs and that is right.
    Cheers Ole

My thought is "wow". Everything has worked together to make this a very compelling image.

Real Name
    Bruce

Donald, dark, and foreboding.

Bruce

Real Name
    Susan

Simple and so rich. Great PP and a wonderful! image.

Real Name
    Greg

What is your intent with the heavy vignette in the lower part of the frame, Donald?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for all the comments.

As to 'that bit of grass' - Even after having it pointed it out to me, I don't feel a need to do anything to it. It is what it is and I don't see it grabbing attention to the detriment of the overall image. However, if I was to print this, I think that might become an issue and I might think about taking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    What is your intent with the heavy vignette in the lower part of the frame, Donald?
    Although the vignette is actually lighter at the bottom than at the top, I agree that the dark ground already there makes it seem much darker. The idea of having it there was to throw the eyes of the viewer out to sea: to channel attention towards the horizon and the sky.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Although the vignette is actually lighter at the bottom than at the top, I agree that the dark ground already there makes it seem much darker. The idea of having it there was to throw the eyes of the viewer out to sea: to channel attention towards the horizon and the sky.
    And that it does, very well too.

Real Name
    Andrew

The simplicity of the image enhanced by your careful craftsmanship and marvelous sense of aesthetics allows my mind and eye a respite from the noise of daily life. Excellent!

The idea of having it there [the vignette on the ground] was to throw the eyes of the viewer out to sea: to channel attention towards the horizon and the sky.
    It doesn't do that for me because of the dark area of land where the land "meets" the sea. I like the vignette instead and wouldn't change it because it helps accentuate the oval area of brighter light on the land.

Real Name
    Greg

Well, it does that ... and more. For me, the heavy vignette produces a kind of "pin-hole" effect which harks back to an earlier era in photography. So I wondered what you were saying about this scene with that effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast