Thread: Sword Dance

Sword Dance

This image was taken at the Waipu Highland Games. Locally we have a group that comments on each other's photos and I am fortunate to be a part of that. After discussion it was commonly agreed that this was a better image than the one I had originally put forward. Happy for any comments whatsoever !

Sword Dance

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Sword Dance

This is such a nice composition with such cool subjects that it would be well worth the time required to take the background to total black (leaving all of the floor as is). Don't forget to include the sort of triangular area between the legs. Then apply a vignette. I'm sure the result will be really dramatic.

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I agree with Mike. It's a perfectly timed capture and well-framed. I would love to see it with the adjustments Mike suggests.

Tony

Real Name
    Bill

Great shot as it is, but I agree with Mike and Tony; the suggested changes will make it even better.

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    This is such a nice composition with such cool subjects that it would be well worth the time required to take the background to total black (leaving all of the floor as is). Don't forget to include the sort of triangular area between the legs. Then apply a vignette. I'm sure the result will be really dramatic.

+1
    Jean

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    I agree with Mike. It's a perfectly timed capture and well-framed. I would love to see it with the adjustments Mike suggests.

Tony
    +1 particularly the timing.

Real Name
    Richard

Mike Buckley and I see the same thing... I like this image very much but the background above the dance floor competes with the image.
    I think that the lowered hose adds a human and humorous factor to the image.

Many thanks Mike and all. I did another from the same time of just the feet, no swords, and added a neutral background, however some of my fellow photographers felt that people in the background made it more natural. Anyway I do like the black background, in this instance. What do you think? Still needs a couple of minor tweaks - but you get the idea.

Sword Dance

Real Name
    Jean

Nice correction, good results.

Yes, that change works really well for me. You could try tweaking it to add just a little tonal variation to the background but you still might decide that the current version works best.

Did you try using a vignette and decide against it? I tend to use very subtle vignettes but I would use a fairly strong one on this image to help add to the drama. Stages are often lit dramatically, so a strong vignette will look not only dramatic but also natural in this particular setting. Using a strong vignette will also help make a visual connection between the dark tone of the background and some newly created dark tones in the floor. That connection will add some balance to the image.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I think that your re-do is a great improvement on the original.

. . . Did you try using a vignette and decide against it? . . . Stages are often lit dramatically, so a strong vignette will look not only dramatic but also natural in this particular setting.
    I liked Mike’s original suggestion of the black background, so I sat back and waited to see if you tried it.

I agree with the statement that Stages often have dramatic lighting, but, my taste is to use Post Production Vignettes sparingly – about the same amount that an Exclamation Mark (!) should be used in copy.

In this case, another option is to change the appearance of the lighting by increasing the effect of the Key Light (Top Camera Left).

There are a number of Post Production methods to achieve this and they include but are not limited to:

> Dodging and Burning
    > Manipulation of Input and Output Levels
    > Increasing the Mid-Tone Contrast
    > Compressing the range of tones in the Shadow areas

A quick 30 seconds rough of the concept is here – the original is on the top:

Sword Dance

If you want to download the sample, please do so shortly as I clear that server regularly.

WW

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I agree with the statement that Stages often have dramatic lighting, but, my taste is to use Post Production Vignettes sparingly – about the same amount that an Exclamation Mark (!) should be used in copy.
    Ha! You won't be surprised to learn that I've been accused over the years in many situations of the overuse of exclamation points, not to mention exclamatory adjectives and adverbs. Having said that, your second example has an effect that is very similar to the "strong" vignette I was thinking of.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

(Aside)

Ha! You won't be surprised to learn that I've been accused over the years in many situations of the overuse of exclamation points, not to mention exclamatory adjectives and adverbs. Having said that, your second example has an effect that is very similar to the "strong" vignette I was thinking of.
    Haha.

I worked with and became good mates with an hard-nosed Chief Sub-editor of the 'old school' (about 5 years my senior); for all copy that he received, he limited all the Journalists and Reporters to the use of one (1) Exclamation Point per lifetime.

He advised that they choose their time very wisely.

However, my use of Capital Letters to imply importance of meaning, drove him absolutely crazy.

WW

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Like Richard, I kinda prefer the original one and his comments, +1.