Thread: The lady photographers

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The lady photographers

Before we set out on our three days of photographing the Hindu festival of colours; Holi, we were warned that the locals like picking on:

1. Photographers;

2. Foreigners; and

3. Women (especially women).

So here are four of the ladies who were part of our group in Barsana and Nandgaon, India.

Note - the white balance is fine - the skin tones and clothes came out that way from the liberal application of coloured gulal (a dry powder) and coloured water (predominantly RED).

1. Garmina

The lady photographers

2. Ankita & Luba

The lady photographers

3. Georgette

The lady photographers

Real Name
    John

Re: The lady photographers

I thought you meant picking on the three groups in general, but for Holi festival anyone is a target and the kids love to target adults in general. It's the same thing with the water festivals in Asia. Nice captures.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I thought you meant picking on the three groups in general, but for Holi festival anyone is a target and the kids love to target adults in general. It's the same thing with the water festivals in Asia. Nice captures.
    While anyone is a target, those three groups and especially women were definitely singled out for extra attention. The kids are definitely out there for some fun and I definitely saw adults tell the to not target cameras. The older teens and other young men were downright nasty to women at times, and that is really what I objected to. At times we had to move as a group and surround the women on our group (there were 5 women and 16 men) so as to provide a level of protection to them.

The use of bhang, a liquid cannabis derivative is quite legal and quite a number of the participants were definitely stoned, which made them a bit more problematic to deal with.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

All three are wonderful as usual but the first one just captivates me.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Ditto and the last one says it all. No half measures. Just enjoy yourself.

Obviously there is a lot of coloured material flying around. How easy is it for you to clean yourselves, clothes and camera gear?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Obviously there is a lot of coloured material flying around. How easy is it for you to clean yourselves, clothes and camera gear?
    The cameras were protected very much like shown in image #2 - full rain hoods with elasticized cuffs and the lens (with a filter) sticking out the front and firmly attached to the lens hood with gaffers tape. The lens hood and filters needed a good rinse at the end of the festivities and the bits of dye that worked their way in (we had to take our hands out of the rain covers occasionally) were easy enough to wipe off with a soft brush and in some cases a damp cloth.

We were advised to coat ourselves from head to toe with coconut oil to help wash off the dyes.

The clothes, shoes and daypacks were disposed of at the end - there was definitely no hope of every getting them clean, so we wore old / disposable clothing with the intent of throwing them out.

Real Name
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    +1 :-)